Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,

We have a relatively new addition to the family - Haemish, a GoldenDoodle - and a month or two ago he decided to take on the habit of biting, which has continued right up until he's six months old.

At first we thought it wast just a mixture of playful mouthing and teething, but at six months with all his adult teeth in and a powerful jaw, he's more than capable of inflicting an an actual injury!

We've tried yipping/squeeling when he bites (as suggested in numerous places) - and all it does it make him more excited!

We're almost certain it's not aggression - rather just a playful thing; but at the same time it hurts like **** and has to stop! It happens at certain places (very particular places) on his walk, and whenever he gets tired or overexcited.

Any ideas on what we can do to try to rectify this behavior?

--Edit--
We also have an appointment with a behaviorist in the near future - forgot to mention that!

Many thanks in anticipation!
- Callum

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome to Dog Forum and congratulations on your new family member. Since your dog is a mix of two retrievers, it's not surprising that he uses his mouth so much. Still, he needs to learn through force-free methods that biting isn't appropriate.

Two suggestions, since you know biting will happen in certain areas and at certain times: first, prevent those circumstances from occurring or second, give your dog something else to do so he can't bite.

On walks, just before you get to the area where he bites, ask him to sit, down, or touch. Continue asking for behaviors as you walk through the area. You might find that giving him a toy to carry through that spot works, too.

When he's tired and ideally before he starts biting, you can offer him something else to chew like a bully stick or stuffed Kong. If necessary, you can lead him into a crate or expen. You could try the same thing when he's overexcited, but you can also attempt to not allow him to get so excited (I know, it's easier said than done). Can you describe when and what types of situations lead to over excitement? That will help folks give you suggestions.

When he's not excited, you can work on Impulse Control and Calmness training. Also, check out the advice in this sticky, Biting, Mouthing, and Nipping, and this article, Teaching Bite Inhibition.

It's good that you have an appointment with a behaviorist. Just in case, here's a nice resource Finding a Trainer, Behavior Consultant, or Behaviorist

·
Registered
297 Posts
Remove yourself immediately from the room as soon as the pup does this behavior. Then come back in a minute and continue being with or playing with the puppy. If the pup nips you again remove yourself. Keep repeating this until the pup learns that that behavior won't be tolerated.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I also have a GoldenDoodle and although she is a little mouthy, she has a soft mouth. When she was playing and would jump up and grab at my clothes, I would not say anything, just stop and stand still. She learned really quickly that the fun stopped if she jumped up and grabbed at me. From the time she was 8 weeks old, if she wanted to chew on my hands, I would give her a toy to chew on. Sometimes in the morning, she likes to come and take my hand in her mouth but she never bites down, just wants to hold it. The few times she has put a little more pressure on it, I just say "ow" and take my hand back.

Bonnie is just over three months now.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts