Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We have had our 13 week old german shepherd/hound mix puppy for 2 weeks now, and we have been very lucky. He is pretty much potty trained only has accidents inside if we forget to take him out in time, and he is learning to not bite/nip as much, and is extremely smart and is picking up on countless tricks and listens to us. He is sleeping through the night, but my problem is if I or my husband gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom open a window etc. our puppy wakes up and starts barking and crying thinking its time to come out (even though he can sleep through the night, its not an issue of him needing to go out he just gets very excited), and needs to be calmed down afterwards. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him from getting so excited when do get up. I was thinking of maybe putting a towel over the crate keeping just the door open, and facing it in a direction that he might not be disturbed? Or will he grow out of this and learn that we aren't going to take him out?

Also, we are wondering how long it will take to get him used to being left alone for up to 4 hours at a time. We understand he is still young and shouldn't be left alone for too long just yet, but want to know at what age is it ok? He is fine being left alone for an hour and half if we need to run some quick errands or go to the gym. Should we just keep pushing the time longer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
To be honest, he may have to go out... Sorta, "OH your awake! me too! can we go pee?" Try taking him out when you get up. He may settle right down afterwards. 13 weeks is still VERY much a baby, Zoey needed nightly pee breaks until she was nearly 5 months old.

Reactions: Wild

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what we thought at first especially since he is still so young. But nights where we dont need to get up he sleeps right through with no complaints. We know he has some separation anxiety, whenever we go into the kitchen or the other room for a few minutes he follows us even if hes napping or playing. He doesn't like to be left alone. I was impressed that he started sleeping through the night, the first week we would get up in the middle of the night and I knew it was to be expected and figured it would be awhile till he would not need to anymore. Thank you though!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I got my 11 Week old Dobie pup last weekend, I got up once during the night when I heard her moving around in her crate. I did that for a couple of nights, then she started sleeping right through till morning.

I have the same problem when I have to get up at night, she wakes and wants to go outside so I take her out. I tried putting her in a different room last night but she would not settle down so ended up bringing her crate back into the bedroom and hoping I did not have to get up during the night. We had another three or four inches of snow last night so not very pleasant to have to go outside. At least she is very quick to go as she wants back in where it is warm and settles right down in her crate again.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I can sleep through the night, too, but if my husband wakes me up going to bed, I have to pee. Just take him out, let him pee and go back to bed. 13 weeks is far too young to expect sleeping through the night reliably.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would try putting a blanket over his crate. That's what my breeder did when my puppy was very little, and I do that now both for naps and overnight. I think it helps him not be so easily disturbed out of sleep.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
507 Posts
He doesn't have separation anxiety. He is a baby and doesn't want to be left alone. It is normal for a puppy to follow you (as in "he follows me around like a puppy").

1 - 7 of 7 Posts