Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Goldendoodle puppy about a month ago to train her to be a Service dog. She is almost 5 months now but she is timid around other people, especially children and dogs except my dog. She also gets stressed out and sick when riding in the car. I'm not sure what I should do.
Yesterday I took her to PetSmart and she started growling at the dogs there and people in the aisles. I can't have that happening. I don't want to give up on her but I also need a Service dog. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
I purchased a Goldendoodle puppy about a month ago to train her to be a Service dog. She is almost 5 months now but she is timid around other people, especially children and dogs except my dog. She also gets stressed out and sick when riding in the car. I'm not sure what I should do.
Yesterday I took her to PetSmart and she started growling at the dogs there and people in the aisles. I can't have that happening. I don't want to give up on her but I also need a Service dog. Any suggestions?
Are you working with a trainer?

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
You really need to find a trainer with experience with fear and behavior modification. Also a trainer (same or a second trainer) who is experienced training service dogs. Expe t to travel and expe t this to be a long and pretty costly process. We have a sticky thread in the training and behavior stickies subforum that may help you find a trainer(s).

Honestly, and I don't want to come across as rude, but you may need to consider whether or not your puppy has the potential for service work. Fearfulness is going to be an issue. Service dogs have to be confident, very well adjusted, basically bombproof dogs...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input. I talked to the Breeder about the situation but didn't ask if they would take Chaunzie back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a company that helps train Service dogs. The cost is expensive, it's 390.00 down and 250.00 a month for 2 years. I don't mind getting Chaunzie in this program but I am not wanting to pay that much money and then she would not be a good candidate. So, I am going to go to PetSmart and do some basic training with her and see where that takes me.
Her fears are getting better since I last wrote on here. I have been introducing her to different people and it seems to be helping some with her fears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts