Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last summer our Golden/Lab mix Shadow who is 3 years old, fell out of out vehicle on the high way (scariest thing that has happen in my life, most likely Shadows as well.) He is ok and some how came out of the accident with only some nasty scrapes.
But not he gets really bad anxiety on car ride (he use to LOVE them) panting, drooling, whining, and pacing, never relaxing.
I have looked at a bunch of anixeity forums and have tried the treat method, I feel like his anxiety is different from normal car anxiety because he had a traumatizing event.
Didn't know if anyone had any advice or a similar event happen (hopefully not)
Thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Can hardly blame him for his car anxiety after what happened. Probably the best way to help him get over it, would be to take him for very short trips, to fun places, then very gradually extend the distance. Its going to take awhile, but he will eventually adjust, slowly. That's how we helped ours get over extreme car sickness, and frankly it took 3 to 4 years to get her over it. There were, of course improvements along the way. You might talk to your Vet about possibly using some anxiety medication, at least in the beginning of the process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts