Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm having some difficulties with my 4 1/2 month old Siberian husky. He's very good with not going in the house when he's not in his crate, but in his crate is a whole different story. He usually won't pee in the crate, but he poops in it almost every day (sometimes more...). Even if he had just gone to the bathroom outside, he will still poop in the crate. He usually goes within 1-2 hours of being put in the crate. He also doesn't seem to mind sitting in his mess. I've had dogs in the past (German Shepherds) and they house trained very quickly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
what food are you using? Som'times switching to grain free (or low filler) food will reduce the amount of stool dramatically...perhaps he just can't hold it because his body is producing so much of it

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree food can play a huge role in the amount of bowel movements. How long is the time between his meal and when he is placed in the crate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! I'm currently feeding him Wellness puppy food. He usually gets put into the crate 5 hours after his last meal.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Could the food not be digesting in his system? One of my dogs was not digesting a higher quality food very well for months and we finally switched him to another brand and he has done fine since then. Is your dog going potty between eating and going in his crate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, he has been going between the last time he ate and going in his crate, but it always seems like a small amount in comparison to when he goes in his crate. It could be the food...I hope not though because he loves it! What are some other good brands to try (in case the problem is his food)?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Well if his stool is smaller in the yard than the crate it sounds like he has not fully digested his food. He is still young and cannot fully control his movements yet either. This is a toughy. Could be a behavioral issue in a sense that he is upset about being in there. How did you introduce him to the crate? What size is it?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Well if his stool is smaller in the yard than the crate it sounds like he has not fully digested his food. He is still young and cannot fully control his movements yet either. This is a toughy. Could be a behavioral issue in a sense that he is upset about being in there. How did you introduce him to the crate? What size is it?

if the stool is looser it can be a "stress poop" LOL.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
if the stool is looser it can be a "stress poop" LOL.
I remember when I worked for a kennel there was a doberman pinscher who poo poo'd in his kennel ALL THE TIME and it was soft and he'd run in circles in it flicking it everywhere and getting it all over him...it also stunk different than when he went on walks...not like I was sniffing it but you can tell...ya know? LOL I figured it was stress of being there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is often smellier when he goes in the crate...Is there any way I can make him less stressed about being in the crate? I put some of his toys in there with him, and I give him a treat when he goes in. Sometimes, he will go in by himself and lay down. Anything else I should be doing?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Did you slowly introduce him? How long is he being left in the crate? Was this time gradually increased, like 5 mins to 15 mins to 30 mins to an hour, etc etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When we first got him (he was 9 weeks old), I started off by only putting him in the crate for a few minutes a time, and gradually increased the time. I also have a divider but like I said, he will just sit in his mess. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I am honestly not sure how to "cure" this problem. Your dog may need to be let out of the crate every couple of hours. Does he go #2 that frequently when you are home and not gone? If he is ONLY going that often when he is crated he may need a different approach, an x-pen or even daycare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He only goes that often when in the crate. It's been going on since I got him (he was 9 weeks old then). I think I may try a different approach. This is my first time crate training. Everybody I know recommended this method for housebreaking my puppy. I had 3 other dogs (German Shepherds) that house trained quickly without crate training (they were only allowed in 1 room at night). Thank you so much for all of your help & suggestions! It was greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I think a different approach is the best answer if its been going on for so long. Please let us know how the new decision goes :) GL

·
Registered
5 Posts
It could just be his natural way. A phase he most likely pass. My sisters german shepherd mix had some weird habits as well.
The best you can do is to correct this behavior.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts