Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I hope some of you might be able to advise me. Bear with me, it's a bit wordy,

My wife and I have two female Jack Russell's, just turned two years old.
They were trained as puppies to urinate outside or on paper by the back door. But recently they have started doing it through the house overnight.

There have been changes recently in the house that I think may have caused this so I will list them first so you know the whole picture (though it didn't start straight after either of these, so not sure..)
- They used to stay upstairs with us overnight, but my wife has said they can't now so they have been put in their basket each night.
- We have recently changed our Living and Dining room floors from carpet into laminate. (Both rooms and the kitchen are one walkthrough without doors).

Now with these, they don't stay in their basket at night, but jump up onto the sofa in the living room, which is the furthest from the back door (we used to have a blanket on there that they liked to sit on, but I moved this into their basket to hope they'll stay there).
In the morning when we get up there is often/sometimes in the corner of the dining room (the middle room) a poop or a wee off to the side - not on the way to the back door, but then also usually something on the paper in the right place.

Ideally I'd like them to stay in their basket as I don't think they'd go past the back door to the dining room to urinate.
We have made sure to go into the garden with them each night before bed and can get them to go to the toilet (10pm), but by 6am they have gone again at some point.

So my questions are any and all of the following if anyone can help:
- is there anything to use to stop bitches urinating in certain areas, most stuff seems aimed at males?
- Anything to make them Want to stay in there basket over anywhere else in the house?
- Is there a good time to lift up their water bowl in the evening to perhaps stop them needing the toilet overnight?
- Cleaning where they go with odour remover useful with bitches?
- Is there a scent spray to make them go somewhere (on the paper for instance) that isn't aimed at puppies, as I'm not sure if it's too late for that with them if it's based on learning a smell to go to?
- We did try using a stairgate between the kitchen and other rooms doorway, but they jump up at it in the night when we aren't there to stop them, leaving wet paw marks on the walls (the doorway is near the back door so they'd be jumping in their wee so don't really want that).
- My wife suggested crating them, but not sure on it, is it too late for that and will they just urinate in there on their bed, not solving the problem.

Appreciate any help you can give us, I know it's long winded,
Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, i'm not an expert but I have a female dog who is half Jack Russell half Yorkie. She doesn't wee in the house overnight but she is sometimes restless at night. I have found that sometimes she just can't get comfy, so I gave her a big pillow that had more padding than her bed and that worked! Also, the more exercise she has had the better/longer she sleeps.

I have caught her doing 'little wees' on her bed sometimes to mark territory, but so far not found a way to stop her doing this....it's probably because I also have a naughty male Chihuahua who likes to wee on everything!

Best wishes

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sudden changes in toilet habits can sometimes be symptoms of a physical problem. I'd take them for a checkup. If they are healthy, I'd start crating them at night. You can crate train a dog as if it was a puppy at any age, it is an effective way for them to learn where they need to 'go'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.