Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I have a chocolate Lab who is just over 3yrs old. Recently he has started to dig up the lawn when he has urinated. He uses all 4 legs to dig in the grass, kicking it everywhere. At first he only did this when i took him for a walk. I think he is spreading his scent. Now he has started to do it at home. I stop him when i see him doing it but he is ruining the lawn. Is there anything that i can do to stop him.

Many thanks

Chris

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
For this, you can probably train an alternate behaviour. Start with him on leash. When he finishes peeing, use the command "lets go" (instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-L2qtD7MQ) to encourage him to just carry on without shredding the grass. Reward heavily. After a week or so, try it without the leash. Reward him for just walking away from the potty rather than aerating it. Gradually fade your rewards. Should work; you just need to break him of this habit.

Another thing you can try (a more roundabout contingency plan) is to put the behaviour on cue. If you turn it into a command and reward it like crazy, he will not be so motivated to do that command where there is no reward involved. Simply put, you are giving a behaviour that he once had intrinsic motivation for to a behaviour that he has extrinsic motivation for. Being the lazy, greedy creatures that we are, we really hate abrupt pay cuts! You will never see a junior hockey league go on strike over their pay-- but as soon as hockey players start raking in the millions, they seem to become less about the 'love of the game' and more about the salary. If you chopped their pay down to a (reasonable, in my opinion) $60,000 per year, do you think they would be clambering to play? Hardly!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I have a chocolate Lab who is just over 3yrs old. Recently he has started to dig up the lawn when he has urinated. He uses all 4 legs to dig in the grass, kicking it everywhere. At first he only did this when i took him for a walk. I think he is spreading his scent. Now he has started to do it at home. I stop him when i see him doing it but he is ruining the lawn. Is there anything that i can do to stop him.

Many thanks

Chris
That is how they spread the word. It spreads their scent far and wide for others to smell. I don't think there is anything that will stop this except teaching a firm leave it and being there to use it every time.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I second teaching him to use one area of the yard to potty and letting him carry on as he pleases in that area. That will work if you mainly keep him in the house, only letting him out to potty or to play with him in the yard. If you mainly keep him in the yard then you may be able to teach him to only do it in one part of the yard when you are around but when you aren't around he'll do as he pleases since the behavior is self rewarding.

My boy does the same thing and sometimes he'll do it right after pottying, other times he'll do it after he smells where some other dog has been. When he does it it's not to much of a problem since he's a toy breed and can't really tear up anything, he does look hilarious doing it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts