Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to this forum and I couldn't find any other place to easily answer my question. So here we go a little history about my dog first.

My dog's name is Kayla and she's very energetic pit/lab mix. I've had her for well over a year now and she's...well not very well trained at all. Though she does mind the simple commands. Sit, lay down and of course the ever popular NO! She's very loving and is incredibly protective of my Son. The most lovable thing about her I'd say is that she's actually a very vocal dog which I have to say is very good for me.
I have always been under the impression that she does not get along very well with other dogs. We have two dogs on either side of us here at home, and well one set of dogs she does not get along with. When the dogs get close to the fence her fur bristles and she goes into full attack mode. I've had to run out to get her away from the fence a few times to calm her down. Luckily my neighbors and I both understand that if either of our dogs get into each others backyard then there might be a situation. So the neighbors and I are on good terms on that bit. The other set of neighbors have two dogs as well and she doesn't mind them so much. Well didn't mind them until the lab busted (literally) through my fence and was in my backyard with Kayla.
Safe to say that my face went stark white. Though keeping my cool I flung the door to my backyard open and I ran out to get her, when I noticed that she was actually playing with the lab and the beagle (sadly these neighbors are never home so I don't actually know them and the dogs. Which also lead to me being scared. Pit's or pit looking dogs have a bad rep in the neighborhood due to crappy ownership). She seemed to get along with those two dogs very well. It lead to the idea that maybe I could start taking her to the local dog park here. Let her run around and interact with other dogs. Though normally on our walks she does get all bristly and somewhat aggressive when she see's another dog. Which also leads me to believe that she isn't ready or just isn't able to go. My friends (two of which raise foster dogs) are all on the fence just as I am.

I am wondering if it is safe to take her to the dog park or should I just not bother and save myself and Kayla from a possible bad situation?

I hope to hear any advice at all on this topic. Thank you for your time and reading this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Because pit bull types and their mixes have such a bad rap it is sound advice to not take them to dog parks. It's just better to be safe than sorry in that respect, especially since your dog seems to not like being around other dogs all the time..and all it really takes is that once.

As an alternative you could set up play dates with your friends dogs if they all get along nicely. That way they get to play and socialize in a controlled environment and will be easier to supervise and stop any problems before they begin.

Although my advice is to steer clear from the dog park completely, if you do insist on going then I would make sure your pup is well exercised and worn out before hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts