Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my Labrador Retrievers have cracked paws, I googled it and apparently Vaseline/petroleum jelly works good for that so I’ll be using that until I can find and buy a reasonably priced lotion that is specifically made for dog paws. The problem is, every time I go to put the jelly on my dogs paws she rips it out of my hand, it gets to the point where I have to hold her down to put it on. Both her and her sister are like this, I don’t know if it hurts them for me to touch it or not because they never whine or show any facial signs that they’re in pain they just pull their paw away looking unbothered. I don’t know how to make them trust me enough to let me put stuff on their paws.
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any advice? I’d really appreciate it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If Doggie Paw is Cracked & Bleed.

Clean the blood off.
Apply something that can be used as a dog paw balm like Vaseline or Bag Balm.
Put a sock over the cracked paw. If using tape to secure it, tape over the ankle and not the foot.
Check pads daily.
Rest until they are healed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi. This is tough. I appreciate the dilemma. My pup used to have ticklish feet. I had to learn to desensitize him to touch slowly. My vet was actually the one who told me he was ticklish. I used to massage his feet, gently. And I explained to him what I was doing and he seemed to understand. Sometimes I forget that my furry friend can think and understand also. I used mushers brand. It’s not cheap, but I often did not need to apply but a couple of times a week. Helped with salt on the streets also. It’s what the group doing the Iditarod use, where I got the idea.

I also used booties. Something else I needed to train him to get used to. Started with one bootie around the house a few minutes a day until he got used to it, then applied the next one. Until I got to all four feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts