Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
How can I tell if a dog is not a thoroughbred dog? I see the dog has a difference, puppies under 2 months I can not distinguish the breed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
How can I tell if a dog is not a thoroughbred dog? I see the dog has a difference, puppies under 2 months I can not distinguish the breed.
The only way to guarantee if a dog is purebred is with a pedigree. A dog can look like a purebred while they’re not. However you can often determine that a dog is mixed bred if they don’t look like a purebred. Are there any puppies in particular you’re referring to? Can’t you just ask the breeder? If there’s any doubts of pedigrees they’re probably not purebred.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only way to guarantee if a dog is purebred is with a pedigree. A dog can look like a purebred while they’re not. However you can often determine that a dog is mixed bred if they don’t look like a purebred. Are there any puppies in particular you’re referring to? Can’t you just ask the breeder? If there’s any doubts of pedigrees they’re probably not purebred.
Thanks for the reply, it's not my dog but the owner claims tht he is pure bred but has no documentation to prove it, but from what I can see on the dog he does have most of the features of a apbt

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for the reply, it's not my dog but the owner claims tht he is pure bred but has no documentation to prove it, but from what I can see on the dog he does have most of the features of a apbt
If the dog doesn’t have a pedigree it’s considered a mutt regardless. I would never trust anyone if they can’t provide the right documentation. Then there’s definitely something sketchy going on.

You can’t be sure on the breed just because they have similar features. This might make the difficulty of pointing out a pitbull more obvious:
D0499F36-E91D-4CA1-840F-B710EF4A0719.jpeg

And in general the bully-breed mixes really is a big jungle and mess in itself. Often the name pitbull is used as a general term for bully-breed type dogs than to actually refer to the actual breed. And in many countries apbt isn’t a recognized breed, for instance It’s not approved by the fci (the international kennel club). Hence, I would guess that the majority of so called pitbulls are actually mixed breeds.

Can I ask why you want to know if the dog is a purebred apbt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The owner of the dog strongly believes that documentation isn't necessary to determine breed, I asked so that he can see the perspective from a group of properly educated people. Since he doesn't believe in my word I hope this will sway his perspective.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The owner of the dog strongly believes that documentation isn't necessary to determine breed, I asked so that he can see the perspective from a group of properly educated people. Since he doesn't believe in my word I hope this will sway his perspective.
So how do you determine the breed of a dog according to your friend then? The documentation and pedigree is vital to guarantee the dogs breed. For a breed like the apbt this is extra important since they’re often mistaken or mixed up with other breeds and mixes. The term pitbull is often used very vague and at least in countries where they’re not a recognized breed, it’s most likely that a so called pitbull actually is a mix or a completely other breed/breeds. I assume that you’re from south africa, where the apbt does not appear to be a recognized breed.

What arguments does your friend have that his dog is a purebred apbt other than similar features? Does he understand what it means for a dog to be purebred and the requirements for it?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Generally speaking a dog can only be described as pure if the dog is registered from two registered parents.

If you want to determine a dogs breed without documentation the best way is with a DNA test.

·
Registered
3 Posts

the photo below is a dog with the proper dimensions of a true abpt everything else is a hybrid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts