Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am looking to adopt a medium-energy, large dog and I am considering a mastiff. I found this one and was wondering if anyone could figure out his pointy ears, which I could not find in any mastiff puppies, along with several other characteristics that lead me to believe he is a mix. I am not very good with dog breeds and I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much for your time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The person who posted him said he was about 4 months... but he just wandered up to their house, so I doubt they know any more than we do. I have e-mailed them requesting more pictures and information. Do you think he could be mixed with Great Dane? Could the ears be due to cropping? I am so clueless with purebreeds. I grew up with pound-puppies. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They just guessed that he was either an English or Bull Mastiff, possibly a mix. They are only asking a $50 re-homing fee, so I don't think they are trying to pull anything over on me. They say that they found him and nursed him back to health. I will post more pictures and info as soon as I receive it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mastiff Mix ID Part 2

I'm sorry I'm new here and my other thread is messing up so I tried again.
For those of you who read the other thread. Here is new info: he is 38lbs and growing fast. The people who found him guess he is 4 months but I don't think they know any better than I do since they just found him.

For those that didn't, I am trying to ID this little guy. Here's his ad: 4mo Male Mastiff
They think he is Mastiff, possibly a mix. I would love to know what you guys think.

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
If they had him vet checked (and I'd hope so if only to check him for a chip) the vet should have been able to give decent them an idea of age.

If he's 38lbs at 4-5 months he's a big boy but not HUGE. Looking at the pictures I'm knda wondering if he's closer to 6 months. A good tell would be if he's got any of his adult teeth or not. At 4 months he'll likely have none or only one or so. By 6months he should have most if not all of them.

He might be one of the smaller mastiff breeds, such as the Cane Corso, or a cross there-of (those ears still wouldn't be right, and no, they don't look cropped, not even a dane crop). I will warn you that many of the smaller mastiff types aren't really low energy dogs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much. It is critical that we do not get a crazy hyper dog, so I really appreciate your input. I did want to say that he was apparently very malnourished when he was found, so that may have impacted his growth. He has been putting weight on rapidly ever since. However, I suppose it was to good to be true to find the breed we wanted so easily. Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
Possible malnurishment could throw things off, but those ears are telling me he's a mix regardless.

On the other hand, a size comparison for you: we expect my Apollo (Tibetan Mastiff) to have an adult size of approx 135-ish. At 16 weeks of age he weighed 42lbs, at 19 weeks of age he weighed 52lbs, and at 25 weeks he weighed 68 lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.