Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6month old Brittany, Tona, is constantly under my feet, and sometimes it's dangerous for both him and I. I watched kikopup's video about training "back" (recommended by people here), and I can't figure out how to execute it. I put him in our hallway with no distractions hoping to get him to back up when I walk forward, but instead he either sits and then is offended when I bump into him, or he spins around like a maniac. Any tips? This isn't a critically thing to know, but it would help him to keep from getting stepped on!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just an idea - no idea if it would work or not, but maybe you could try holding a treat directly under his chest while he is standing? Then maybe he would take a couple of steps backwards to get at the treat, and then use this as a starting point to shape the behaviour? I havent done this myself, but might be worth a try?

·
Registered
900 Posts
You can throw a treat a little bit behind him and once he goes to get it you say the command or while on a leash walk stop and take a step back with him will saying it then reward.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Might be more complex than you want to go but I use a back foot target to teach backing up. This is just a bit of practice but shows the speed and distance you can get. He can back up quickly without the pvc guides and target there, but we are working on very large distances for freestyle. The target keeps him consistently backing to the same place and the guides are helping with muscle memory for straight backing for longer distances.

This thread has a some pointers and vid links iirc for teaching backup. I explained how I teach it and also a beginning vid with my puppy in the second half of the thread. I think posts 50 and 55 or around there....
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/anyone-up-weekly-training-challenges-206634/page5/

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Can't see your video as it is "Private". Very interested as have been trying to teach Kris to back up and not much luck yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Oops!
Should be viewable now. ;)

Also, please excuse Dexter's drowned rat look. It was very rainy day. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts