Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle has been secreting anal fluid here and there for a couple days, as well as biting/itching around his butt. I don't know why this is happening, it occurred one time months and months ago but the symptoms cleared. What should I do?? Obviously the smell is awful, but I also don't want my dog feeling such discomfort.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Have you taken the dog to a vet? Have the glands been expressed recently? Could be an infection or other.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you taken the dog to a vet? Have the glands been expressed recently? Could be an infection or other.
I've never had them manually expressed. He has been in great health up until this, wasn't sure if it warranted a vet visit or not.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It just sounds like they need to be manually expressed. Lots of dogs we get in the salon have leaky anal glands if the owners either don't know/ aren't comfortable with expressing the anal glands themselves. It's a very easy process and completely safe to do at home but I know a lot of our customers don't want that smell in their bathroom so they let us take care of it (it's around 10 at our salon but I've seen it range from 5-12$) If you'd like me to explain the process just let me know :) also manually expressing them at home allows you to gauge if they are clogged or infected before you spend the money to take him to a vet. With his breed I wouldn't really worry about this much I would just make expressing his glands a habit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just sounds like they need to be manually expressed. Lots of dogs we get in the salon have leaky anal glands if the owners either don't know/ aren't comfortable with expressing the anal glands themselves. It's a very easy process and completely safe to do at home but I know a lot of our customers don't want that smell in their bathroom so they let us take care of it (it's around 10 at our salon but I've seen it range from 5-12$) If you'd like me to explain the process just let me know :) also manually expressing them at home allows you to gauge if they are clogged or infected before you spend the money to take him to a vet. With his breed I wouldn't really worry about this much I would just make expressing his glands a habit.
thanks for offering to explain, but I actually have watched videos and read how to do it, I don't know what my problem is but I've tried once before when I saw him dragging his bum and was unable to get anything out! *shrug*

I made the vet appt. just because he seems really irritated this time, maybe if I watch them I can see what I'm doing wrong. I hope they don't charge me an arm and a leg, but if it is infected I'd like to know right away

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but with all my dogs - vets and groomers were warned up front - hands off the anal glands.

Manual expression can cause trauma and swelling if not done properly - and turns into a constant revolving door of manual expression as they won't work properly anymore.

Do take the dog to a vet.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
After you have them expressed start feeding prunes a couple of times a week and the problem will disappear. Buy some organic prunes and chop them up and add to the food. You want organic because the others have sulfur in them. When my hound ate kibble he had that problem. The prunes worked. 1 for sm. 2 for med and 3 for large 2 or three times a week.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Some, not all dogs have ongoing problems with those anal glands. Samantha needs to have hers expressed every two to three months, not really a big deal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just realizing that to my surprise, a few days ago, Brody got into a small package of non toxic face paint. He has been having some colorful poop and I'm wondering if that is what is aggravating his little behind. Could there be a connection here?

Either way, vet appt. is set for Monday afternoon. Maybe they can also tell me how to get him to stop eating rabbit poop LOL :hammer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
My pup needs her anal glands expressed every couple of months for the same reasons :( I agree - you should never have them expressed for no reason and sometimes groomers do this. BUT, some dogs just have problems with them regardless, like mine...

ask your vet, but expressing them is no biggie! Annoying, but worth it for your pups comfort!

·
Registered
439 Posts
you should never have them expressed for no reason and sometimes groomers do this. BUT, some dogs just have problems with them regardless, like mine...
I just wanted to put out there, that at least in my grooming salon (and I can only speak for mine) we will always try to express the anal glands of smaller dogs. If we don't get anything, then we stop, however there isn't any risks to externally expressing anal glands, because even if they aren't full you aren't going to hurt the dog so really it's better for your dog to try and express them often so they aren't itching and uncomfortable if they happen to be full.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I doubt gently expressing glands every now and then is not likely to lead to many problems, but I have seen far too many patients whose glands get expressed regularly too often, and the more often you express glands, the more often they will need to be expressed (vicious circle!)... until the pet can barely go a week before needing them expressed again. Then you are stuck and the only way out of that situation is to have them surgical removed, usually completely unnecessary otherwise. I personally do NOT ever express glands unless there are symptoms that necessitate it (scooting for no other reason, oozing glands, glandular odor often... or sometimes at owners request). My own dogs get their glands expressed only when needed... and for most, that has been never once in their entire lives (most of my dogs are now in their teens).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vet didn't get much out of him but said one of the glands was infected and gave us antibiotics. I wasn't actually there, my boyfriend took our dog, and apparently he didn't ask how it gets infected or anything, or how they know it is infected. Follow up in 2 weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts