Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend's dog just died and I wanted to give her a new dog. She has a big labrador dog last time and it broke her heart when he died, she really loved that dog and I wanted something to give her a new kind of dog, what dog do will you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
In my opinion a dog, or any pet, should never be given as a gift to someone who does not expect it. Not fair to the recipient who may not want it, and not fair to the pet who might be rehomed through no fault of its own. I agree with the previous poster, talk to your gf.
If she is ready for a dog, offer cash for purchase costs and vet expenses, etc. but let her pick the dog she wants.
Pets, like people, are very personal relationships. If something happened to your gf, you wouldn't want your Mom to go onto a dating site and pick another gf for you, would you?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I recommend scoping out the local shelters for potential candidate. if you fond one that you think MAY be a good fit, make a diversion on a trip and take her there to see if there is a connection and if she wants that.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Sorry your girlfriend's dog died. It's thoughful of you that you care enough about her to come in and ask about how to help her in regards to getting another dog.

Unless she brings it up first, you might not even want to mention a new dog until at least a month has gone by. Getting over the death of a beloved pet takes time.

Personally, I feel that a person needs time to feel the loss, accept it, and just do the normal grieving things that people need to do. But at some point, I think it can be something that is dwelt on too much and grieving becomes a negative thing. At some point, I think it is a good thing to start looking for another dog.

As most here suggested and you seem to understand, it would be best to do a pet search together. For now, just be there for her.

One thing too, and this sounds a bit sexist/stereotyping (or maybe just applies to my generation , I'm 52)...but it is something I noticed.

Often, when men hear women vent, or cry over something...they seem to want to 'fix it' somehow -- when what the woman really wants is not so much a solution/fix to what bothers them, but just someone to hear them out as they release pent up emotions. (a long hug might help at that point. :huddle: )

Stormy

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Everyone else is right to wait a while, a month is a good time span. After that if you still want to, I suggest you give her a stuffed dog. Attach a note to its neck that says something about how this dog represents a real one, and you will pay the adoption/breeder fee for a new dog when she's ready. That way she can pick out the dog but your generous gift can still be given responsibly. Just stay away from puppy stores and any being sold online! They come from puppy mills.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@josephsantos

Obviously, you've been given great advice already but I wanted to offer some alternatives. I think it is so sweet that you want to cheer your girlfriend up. Since she loved her other dog so much, how about gathering some photos together and having an artist paint a portrait for her. Or you could order some type of photo gift off snapfish.com or a similar website.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also puppies are a LOT of work. For me, Dexter got e out of the house and really helped my grieving process. But everyone grieves different.some people can muster the love and hard work it takes during that time

·
Registered
641 Posts
Many years ago, when the first dog I had as an adult suddenly died, a friend got a gift certificate from the local humane society (where I'd gotten the dog that passed away) and included a note with it that said that it could be used whenever I was ready, and if I found my next dog elsewhere, she would be happy to consider it simply a donation to the shelter in the memory of the dog who had passed.

You could consider something like that if there's a shelter/rescue in your area that has a similar program. Or you could make a donation to a dog-related cause in memory of your girlfriend's dog.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My girlfriend's dog just died and I wanted to give her a new dog. She has a big labrador dog last time and it broke her heart when he died, she really loved that dog and I wanted something to give her a new kind of dog, what dog do will you guys recommend?
Dogs or live animals of any kind should never be given as gifts. She may not be done grieving yet. When its time she will make the decision herself. Be supportive that is all you can do .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts