Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is just a call out for any ideas to settle a visiting dog who is missing its owner. We are doing a friend a favour by looking after his (lovely) dog whilst he's away for the night. But the dog is clearly missing his owner and won't stop whining and stressing. It's just pacing around, crying in distress and scratching on doors. We all have to work in the morning and it's starting to get impossible. I know the dog is upset but there is no way we can get her owner back tonight, so does anyone have any tips to soothe her so she at least settles enough to lie down? So far I've given her food, water, cuddles/ ignored her, given her light/given her a dark room, let her play/ encouraged her to calm down. Nothing has worked yet and we're so tired and sleep deprived! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
And yes I think for the dog's and our sakes we'll have to say no to future sleepovers :)

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
It is very understandable that the pup is missing his human. But, it is only for one night. You may want to tell his human about what happened. This pup may need to visit more for maybe an hour or two at a time, his owner leaves, then will realize his owner will return.
It's very understandable why the pup is upset.

But the alternative is to say no to your friend when asked.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks or the replies. I absolutely agree this dog isn't comfortable with being away from her owner for such a long period. Now I've had some sleep I'm much more objective about the episode. I spoke to the owner and he said he didn't even know his dog HAD separation anxiety - presumably because he's never there when the dog is howling for him! I wouldn't have felt comfortable drugging her, I just really wanted the dog to feel secure enough to relax and calm down. In the end the anxiety continued for about three more hours and then I think she must have just tired herself out, because she fell asleep and only whined every hour or so, but from her bed.

Thanks for the good suggestions. It WAS just one night, but I think me and the pup are glad it's over with!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
@EskimoTed, so glad you did not go the drugging route, it could have caused dire consequences.

I'm glad the owner now knows separation anxiety now and will work on this with his dog. Hopefully he will join our forum where we can help him with this problem.

Thanks for getting back to us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts