Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone, this is my first post, if the question is a bit newbie'ish please excuse...

3 Weeks ago I bought a 8 weeks old registered black Scotty bitch. From day one we started on potty training with a training pad, but I'm not sure if we are doing everything correctly...

First some background on where she is living... I own a small house, with a small back yard, the yard is about 7 meters in length and shaped like a 'P' where the top part is 3 meters and the bottom part 1 meter... if this makes sense.

For the first week when we go to work the puppy has been staying in the garage, that opens up into the back yard... for the first week the door was open and the security gate closed, in other words she was confined to the garage... From week 2 I modified the gate so she can leave the garage and play outside if she wishes to do so...

In the evenings she sleeps in her crate next to our bed, in the morning about 6AM she wakes up and then 'asks' to go and wee... For the first 2 weeks I took her to the training pad inside the garage where she learned to wee on command... For the last week I took her outside...

This is where the question comes in... She still wees everywhere she likes when we are off to work... Is there any way to train her to wee outside? Maybe only put her outside and let her have to access to the garage if we go to work?

Any suggestions or comments is welcome, please.

Regards,
Alwyn Swart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... See my post would better fit under : Housebreaking Puppies

Please move the post admins. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Moved it for you :)

Is she weeing in the garage while you are at work?

Also-does she 'go' in the house at all-or just outside and the garage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Mikey for moving the thread.

Yes, she is weeing in the garage when we are off to work... When she is in the house we try to keep an eye on her every second, so the 'going' in the house is not that frequent... but slip ups do happen sometimes.

Read a few posts and it seems that 11 or 12 weeks is quite early for a puppy to be fully potty trained... right?

This morning when she woke up we took her outside... she did not want to wee outside, so I took the training pad and put it on the ground outside and she immediately relieved herself on it... Are we on the right track with this?

Thank you for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts