Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our pup, Pecas (Spanish for freckles), when he was nearly 8 weeks old from a shelter. They could only figure that he is a Beagle mix. But he doesn't have the traditional beagle coloring, he has red and white coloring with red ticking. He seems to share certain characteristics with Beagles; high energy, friendliness, separation anxiety. He loves sniffing out the neighborhood squirrels and birds. Oh and he loves to dig, much to my mom's disapproval. One thing that caught my attention in terms of his behavior is that he don't bark very much, only when something catches his attention across the street or when he's scared, he also only howls when he's lonely. Otherwise he's a fairly quiet dog. ;)

He is currently 10 months old, 15-16 inches in height and approx. 23 lbs.

These are the photos from the shelter of Pecas (formally known as Sleepy) and his siblings, I'm pretty sure he was the only one who had ticking, his siblings tended to be a brown with white or the a variant of the traditional tri-color.

This was him during the first week we brought him home at nearly 8 weeks old

This was him at 3-4 months old

These are the most recent pictures of him at 10 months old

I don't really have a good idea what he could be mixed with, but people in the past have suggested: Jack Russell Terrier, Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler), Redtick Coonhound. :ponder:

So, what do you guys think? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
maybe springer spaniel, the markings and ear shape look just like a German Shorthaired Pointer. Whatever he is he is so cute and a hound mix of some kind.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Check out catahoulas on the website for them; could be a mix with beagle, or a pointer mix; adorable; redtick too is a possibility. My houlas love to chase squirrels; Does he have webbed feet all the way to the toes??? He does have the white tipped tail...does it curve over his back??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out catahoulas on the website for them; could be a mix with beagle, or a pointer mix; adorable; redtick too is a possibility. My houlas love to chase squirrels; Does he have webbed feet all the way to the toes??? He does have the white tipped tail...does it curve over his back??
yeah, he kinda does have webbed feet, but he hates water and getting wet. Also, his tail doesn't curve over his back. It's just straight for the most part.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I love all the theories that are coming up.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Hi,
The pointer has webbed feet as does the Catahoula, but the "cats" go all the way to the toes. My houlas don't like water either! go figure! Your dog is so adorable. Maybe do a dna test?

·
Registered
170 Posts
maybe springer spaniel, the markings and ear shape look just like a German Shorthaired Pointer. Whatever he is he is so cute and a hound mix of some kind.
I totally 100% agree!!! That's my bet and I'm sticking to it! His markings, build, the look in his eye! I'd be willing to put money on it that he's a German Shorthaired Pointer Beagle mix. That was the first thing that hit me in the head. (I looked at the pictures before reading the post!) What a cutie!!

German Shorthaired Pointer, little more broad built then your dog. But showing the same color and face characteristics.

German Shorthaired Pointer -pointing Do you ever noticing him picking up his paw when concentrating hard on something?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I say it's a Beagle mixed with Setter or Spaniel or Pointer. It has one of those three mixed in it.

He's very cute!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My dog has the curved tail and white tip. I know she is bluetick hound and beagle, is the tail thing a catahoula trait?

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Yep, the white tip and curved tail over the back is pretty houla. But more significant is the feet webbed all the way to the toes, different from the Portie or other water dogs. The black freckling on the body is a clue too. Love the bluetick and beagle! You must have fun at the dog parks or outdoors!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I just checked her feet. They aren't webbed all the way to the toes. I know her mom was a pb blue tick coon hound but her dad is a mystery, maybe he was a beagle/houla mix or something.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks. She is a sweetie. I love the houla look. yours are gorgeous too

·
Registered
1 Posts
We adopted our pup, Pecas (Spanish for freckles), when he was nearly 8 weeks old from a shelter. They could only figure that he is a Beagle mix. But he doesn't have the traditional beagle coloring, he has red and white coloring with red ticking. He seems to share certain characteristics with Beagles; high energy, friendliness, separation anxiety. He loves sniffing out the neighborhood squirrels and birds. Oh and he loves to dig, much to my mom's disapproval. One thing that caught my attention in terms of his behavior is that he don't bark very much, only when something catches his attention across the street or when he's scared, he also only howls when he's lonely. Otherwise he's a fairly quiet dog. ;)

He is currently 10 months old, 15-16 inches in height and approx. 23 lbs.

These are the photos from the shelter of Pecas (formally known as Sleepy) and his siblings, I'm pretty sure he was the only one who had ticking, his siblings tended to be a brown with white or the a variant of the traditional tri-color.

This was him during the first week we brought him home at nearly 8 weeks old

This was him at 3-4 months old

These are the most recent pictures of him at 10 months old

I don't really have a good idea what he could be mixed with, but people in the past have suggested: Jack Russell Terrier, Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler), Redtick Coonhound. :ponder:

So, what do you guys think? :thumbsup:
Perhaps, an English Pointer. My search revealed several colors. Check out the images:

Hope this helps :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts