Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 month old rottweiler puppy. From day one she has not liked to be held or cuddled. She gets along great with our other dog, but they do get a little agressive towards each other. Well today they got a little snarly and i was in between them. They lunged at each other and my arm was in the middle. I ended up in the ER for a dog bite. Puncture wounds! My husband was so furious that he said we were taking her back to the breeder. I am upset because I feel like I have givin up on her. I would like to try obedience training. I can't have an agressive dog. Any help or suggestions appreciated!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
OUCH! That sounds like a very stressful situation. I am not going to say your husband is right, but I wouldn't dismiss his idea out of hand. Rottweilers are usually very sociable and lovey so it seems a bit odd that she has been so standoffish from go.

Ideally the situation where "they get a little aggressive towards each other" would have been dealt with before it escalated. Generally it is always a good idea to address a behavior at its start rather than when it becomes a problem.

If you are seriously wanting to invest in good training for her, I say go for it, but if you are doing it because of your own feelings of guilt/failure (trust me I know I have had those feelings too) then it may be a good idea to go the route your husband suggests. The breeder, if reputable, probably knows how to rehab, or has someone that they use that can do so.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Any time you stick any limb in between two fighting dogs you are going to get bit, no matter how friendly or loving the dog. People even get some nasty bites pulling dogs apart (called redirected aggression).

Your dog doesn't sound aggressive at all, but rather aloof, fond of personal space and not too dog-friendly, which would not be absurd traits for a rottweiler. I've known many friendly rottweilers in my travels, but if you want a cuddly dog, you get a Shih-Tzu or a spaniel.

What exactly are you looking for in a second dog? You can certainly train a dog and fix behavioral issues, but at the end of the day some dogs are always going to be much more comfortable with a pat on the back than they ever will be with a big bear hug.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe she has a health concern than makes her irritable or not want to be held. My best friend has been around rottweilers her whole life and they are nothing but sweet to people. So it seems odd she's so independent and aggressive. But some bigger breed dogs dont like to be held because they dont like having their feet free floating.

It's hard to tell sometimes between a younger dog and an older dog. My lab mix Bo wanted NOTHING to do with our mini aussie Cooper at first. Took him 3 months to warm up to him. Of course part of it was our fault since Bo was an only dog for 12 years of his life. But now they are best buds.

We recently got another aussie pup and Cooper was very unsure of her. It's obvious they are going to be best friends but he gets snarly with her whenever she bites too hard or steps on him. He accidentally bit her on the nose a bit and she bled a little. Of course after careful monitoring such incidents dont happen anymore. She's a little spitfire though! It was more of "stop biting me you little whippersnapper"

Try out the obedience training. If things dont improve maybe your husband is right about giving her back. My aussies had a clause in their papers that said if temperament is still bad after appropriate training and socialization then the breeder will replace the puppy with one with a better temperament.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts