Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old Norwich Terrier Rookie (20lbs)just will not stay at home. I live in a suburb neighborhood in a small house with a 6 ft wood privacy fence and ample yard for Rookie to run and play. About 2 years ago I divorced and my two children go visit their Dad for almost an entire week. During that time Rookie is mostly alone while I am at work (8 hours) inside the home he becomes destructive and widdles and marks or tears up the rug or wiring. I have a crate but he howls , claws and chews the interior until he is bloody. I bought a Thundervest at 35$ to calm him but no change. I started putting him in the Florida room (enclosed patio 12/12 ft) which has a closeable doggy door. He has food, water, a fan, a great shag rug,toys and pillow bed and yet he breaks through the aluminum window frames and screen, chews through the bottom of the wood privacy fence and runs to all the neighbors houses. I know my neighbors are tired of bringing him home. He always returns within a few hours. If he gets pickedup by animal control it would cost me almost 100$ in fines or worse if he gets hit by a car and needs medical attention. I have struggled over giving him to an elderly person who can be there all day for him but cannot guarantee he wont run from their home. Help please

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Sounds like your dog needs some interaction? What exercise does he get? Do you play with him or is he expected to play with the toys on his own? Without the family there he probably getting the attention he is used to. A thunder vest works for some but not others and requires some work of comfort that goes with it. You can't throw the vest on the dog and expect him to be calm.

I suggest looking at the the training sticky on crate training, so your dog begins to associate the crate with good things. Sounds to me that he needs some exercise and attention. Can the kids take him? Or can you hire a dog walker of some sort?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I don't have kids (which the OP doesn't during the week, either) and I work 8 hours, too. I also walk my dog at 5:30 am for 45 minutes (summer hours), half an hour after work and 20 minutes before bed. I train for 15 minutes a day and play with him another 30. It's not that hard to fit in if you want to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts