Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i hope someone can help me. i got my dog from a rescue center a few months ago they said he was a lab cross but i couldn't tell. i was hoping someone could help me - i think he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback cross but he dont have the hair on his back going the other way - please help

attached is a picture of my boy with the yellow harness and the other is a pure Rhodesian Ridgeback

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
we think he is Rhodesian Ridgeback cross great Dane from pictures we have found on Google but still not sure. he is about 27 - 30 inches tall (from feet to top of head)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hard to tell - I don't really see the Ridgeback, would say maybe lab x some kind of hound.
No matter what he is, he is lovely looking, and if you NEED to know get him DNA tested (although the results of these tests have to be taken with a grain of salt).
Enjoy your time with him!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi Stevo. I'm not good at judging breeds but he does look a little houndy. cute pooch ya got there. I love the coloring on hisnose.

For what it's worth...the more breeds that are in the mix, the less accurate the tests are. The bigger the company's DNA database is, the more accurate the test can be but again....many breeds in the mix will lower the accuracy of the test...(read: ya get what ya pay for and that STILL ain't no guarantee it 's accurate)

Although knowing what breed(s) the dog is can help determine health risks to discuss with the vet and behavioral quirks and strengths, plus it's a great story to eat out on, may i suggest you take the 70-150$ you would spend on the test and donate it to a local shelter or rescue? Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I see lab/hound. No RR
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
No ridgeback or great dane in my opinion.. you should get a wisdom panel test done. Many people on the forum have used it with believable results.
Maybe some hound or lab in there. RR and GD are both super smooth coated- very very very short hair- your dog looks to have more of a labbish coat. Also RR and GD are much bigger than the height you described.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think GSD mix for sure. Look up German Shep/lab mixes and you will see those dogs usually have a black muzzle and the same eyes. I don't think it's a pure lab though because of the white on the chest. Maybe a GSD/Heinz 57

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
results are in

the results have come back and he is labrador cross ridgeback, thought i would let you know from the test it shows his parents was a pure bread lab and a pure breed ridgeback.:)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
yay, you know, most people who did the dna test show the results to the others for fun. Can I see the results too? Pleeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeeeee, pretty please?!

Just remember about what others have said about the dna testing. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts