Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first time here, hoping someone may have had similar problems. I'm fostering an 18 month old un-neutered female Staffordshire Bull Terrier, although she may be mixed because of really wide shoulders.

She was rescued because her owner kept her in a crate in the bathroom all the time and there was a danger she would be sold for breeding.

She's very nervous of being outside-we've built up to 40 minutes from 5!
She seems oblivious of me once we're out-ignoring and/or pulling me. It's not pleasurable mostly. She is completely inexperienced with other dogs and because of her power, I'm nervous to explore that.

At home she shows neurotic behaviour, licking at her paws constantly or licking my sofa or bedding. She has destroyed some bedding.

I'm also really tired of people avoiding her/crossing the road etc, she can be a sweet girl and she's just scared. Considered a training harness with 'special needs' written on it.

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would talk to a PR trainer or behaviorist to see if they can help you introduce her to things safely and in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You need to engage her while outside, play with her, fetch or tug. If you play tug remember to always let her win, but get her very excited. Praise her a lot. Basically, you need to start teaching her to give you her energy, in that way she will begin to develop an attraction towards you, and from there trust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should say because she's a foster I can't afford to spend too much! The rescue place she's from seem uninterested when I ask for help

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
poor girl.
could be some kind of Kaspar-Hauser-syndrom if the dog was isolated in a period of time during adolescence and puppyhood.
I hope that's not the case, because then it is a problem of the brain being not developed enough to process too much information and that's what gets the dog stressed.

I'd try to train leash walking with her as much as possible.
best is to start with the training at a very low-stimulus area, like in the house or the garden and then step by step work up to more exciting areas.
a houselash is generally good, to keep the dog in your direct surroundings and so in control all the time.
I'd keep the training short (like 2 minutes), but do it a lot through out the day and generally condition her to keep her attention on you with rewards... find something she really likes, so that it feels good for her to come to you and be focused on you.
generally, until she's more confident, I'd search for less populated places for the everyday walks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts