Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My fiance and i recently brought home an 8 week old frenchie! she is beyond cute, loving, smart and sweet, but we are having some trouble training her. I know that my expectations should be low for what can be accomplished, but some validation that were on the right track would be great!

A few things:

for housetraining we live in a big high rise to its hard to have her walk outside to the same pee spot because she will tend to pee on the way in the hallway. so we carry her to the pee spot. she does great peeing and pooping but sometimes when we come in she will be walking back and just poop in the hallway on the way back. im not sure how to stop her from doing this.

She does not hate the leash, but certainly does not love it. i can entice her to come walking and she will come towards me and then stop then we got a few more feet and she stops. Then sometimes shell walk for a while something will distract her and shell stop wont move etc...

lastly, i know she is a bully bread but most of the people i know with dogs are poodles and other small furry dogs. My frenchie has 0 aggression towards them, but seems to want to nip at there tails and fur and scares them. I know she is a tiny puppy and teething so will likely grow out of all of this behavior.

Any help on any of these would be great or a simple your doing your job fine and it just takes time too! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
she will be walking back and just poop in the hallway on the way back. im not sure how to stop her from doing this.
She is small. When you are finished with outside time, put her in a carry crate and carry her back to your apartment. Not permanently, of course. Just until she gets the idea of what outside is for and inside is not for.
Check out crate training.

Housetraining

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi,

She does not hate the leash, but certainly does not love it. i can entice her to come walking and she will come towards me and then stop then we got a few more feet and she stops. Then sometimes shell walk for a while something will distract her and shell stop wont move etc...
Congrats on your new frenchie puppy! She is ADOOOORRRABBBLLEEEE!!!

She's still extremely young so have patience with the leash. If she is food motivated, have some kibble or a treat ready in your hand and when she stops, call her towards you with the treat in front of her. You can hold the food right to her nose and then lead her back to you/your direction. Use lots of praise and happy voices when she starts to walk towards you. Try to make it as exciting as possible to get her to come to you so that whatever she is looking at isn't as exciting as what you have.

My pup is 6 months and she still stops dead in her tracks from time to time. I just have to keep coaxing her (I don't use treats anymore) with happy exciting voices and she'll eventually get up and start walking again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts