Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 8 days now my dog constantly whines/cries. He is healthy, he eats and drinks fine but will constantly sit near either myself or my husband staring at us whining/crying. We ignore it then praise him when he is quiet which is a rare thing! It just isn't stopping. We have brought him new toys and chews incase it was bordem We are losing our minds from the noise but ignoring it as i read it is probably attention seeking. I don't know what to do it's been 8 days :(

He's obviously not happy about something and we are so frustrated from the noise but trying not to show it.

Our dog is a male 4 and a half year old Bichion Frise.

I took a video to show then it's not a pain type of cry, his tail is wagging as well as he's making the noise but can't see a way to upload to show you.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance <3

·
Registered
811 Posts
So what happened 8 days ago? Any changes in lifestyle? New neighbours perhaps moved in? Loud building work going on close by? Fireworks been let off close by? Can you ask a member of family or neighbours if anything scary happened 8 days ago?

In cases of sudden behaviour change it's always advisable to have the dog checked thoroughly by a vet, and if physically OK, a positive reinforcement behaviourist should be able to help you through your dog's issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just me my husband and our dog. Nothing I know of happened. I've been home due to having had surgery so have been with him all day. Just one day started crying/whining . First I thought he was poorly but have been told he is healthy. I have been ignoring the crying and when he's quiet and settled rewarding him with a stroke and a treat but 8 day's later it is still on going. Someone mentioned it was dominance attention seeking as it starts with a tail wag and feet on you whilst crying. I don't know I just want him to be happy and the noise to stop

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol no idea.

I have had multiple surgeries and not had this problem before. This surgery was 7 weeks ago so would be strange to start now. I am lost to what started it (just went and asked my neighbours, they can't think of any noise etc happening 8 days ago)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sorry to hear about your surgery and hope you are recovering well.

I have no idea what else could be causing your dog to cry and whine - unless he is not getting his daily routine/exercise that he is used to? Are you able to take him out for walks? If not, is there somebody who can? Maybe getting him away from home few times a day would wear him out physically and mentally and he would relax once back home?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Lol no idea.

I have had multiple surgeries and not had this problem before. This surgery was 7 weeks ago so would be strange to start now. I am lost to what started it (just went and asked my neighbours, they can't think of any noise etc happening 8 days ago)
There probably was a build up to his unhappy state of mind well before 8 days, but gone unnoticed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh he is going out by both me and my husband. He's loves off the leash and visit's to my husbands nans and he is doing both regularly. The second we are home and settled down doing something the crying starts again. I really wish he could talk :(

·
Registered
811 Posts
There are products that help dogs to relax. Pet remedy plug in is very good.

Pet Calming, Cat Calming, Dog Calming | Pet remedy

Zylkene capsules (milk protein based - not drugs) can also help. Both available from your vet, Pet remedy also in pet shops and online.

What do you feed your dog? If you feed kibble, take advantage of the many food dispensing toys available on the market -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f..._AUoAmoVChMIpvfL5sa1yAIVwls-Ch3J9gRA&dpr=1.25

These will make him work for his food physically and mentally, therefore tire him, and therefore he'll be more likely to want to rest, rather than cry.

Is anybody able to take him to training classes so that, once again, he is forced to use his brain, therefore get tired and not want to cry? Or can somebody look up training videos online and follow those? Kikopup, tab289, or any positive reinforcement trainer.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh he is going out by both me and my husband. He's loves off the leash and visit's to my husbands nans and he is doing both regularly. The second we are home and settled down doing something the crying starts again. I really wish he could talk :(

He is talking! He is telling you he is not happy......;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's just me my husband and our dog. Nothing I know of happened. I've been home due to having had surgery so have been with him all day. Just one day started crying/whining . First I thought he was poorly but have been told he is healthy. I have been ignoring the crying and when he's quiet and settled rewarding him with a stroke and a treat but 8 day's later it is still on going. Someone mentioned it was dominance attention seeking as it starts with a tail wag and feet on you whilst crying. I don't know I just want him to be happy and the noise to stop
He may have learnt that crying, followed by quiet gets him a stroke and a treat!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can take him, will look up classes nearby. Just wish I knew what started it as he was a super calm dog prior to this.

Could a puppy cause this behaviour? I mean it was before 8 days ago but our friend brought his new puppy round for a visit. They played for an hour together then it left.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I can take him, will look up classes nearby. Just wish I knew what started it as he was a super calm dog prior to this.

Could a puppy cause this behaviour? I mean it was before 8 days ago but our friend brought his new puppy round for a visit. They played for an hour together then it left.
Of course! He had great fun for an hour and now what? He may be missing that. Is it possible for him to see this puppy or another playful dog again?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I don't treat him shortly after, he has to be settled a while before I do it. Like if he's gone quiet somewhere i find him and reward him

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course! He had great fun for an hour and now what? He may be missing that. Is it possible for him to see this puppy or another playful dog again?
I can give her a call and see if he's free. I did mention to my husband he might be pining for a companion but he didn't think so... Wouldn't be surprised if I was right, tell him all the time i am ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
He maybe pining for fun! Getting another dog may not be the right solution, but giving him the opportunity to have a blast with other dogs, on a regular basis, might.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for slow reply,I took him for another walk to drain some more energy as my friends dog wasn't available for a play date and fed him dinner, he is now asleep. I phoned a trainer and going to try a different approach instead of ignoring and also take him back to the vets Monday for another check up just to be sure. Really hope this works, love him and just want him happy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good decisions. Good luck and please come back and keep us informed. We don't only help to educate/solve problems, we also learn from other people's problems. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will, he is currently still settled, it's the most peace we've had in 8 days. So enjoying it :D. Thank you for listening to me and helping <3 xx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.