Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received an email from the kennel while on vacation saying our Cav had "a few matts[sic]/knots that need to be trimmed out" and would it be ok if their groomer took care of it. I said "sure, go ahead". When we picked her up yesterday, she was shaved head to toe. (We don't believe this was done by their groomer, we think some moron on staff did it.) We are beside ourselves worrying if her coat will ever come back. We live in MN with 90+ degree summer days and sub zero winter days. Is there anything we can do to ensure that her coat is restored to "normal" with a healthy protective outer coat? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yikes. I would definitely complain.
It should grow back just fine, just make sure to brush him regularly. Also... stay away from heat and sun.

·
Registered
573 Posts
We received an email from the kennel while on vacation saying our Cav had "a few matts[sic]/knots that need to be trimmed out" and would it be ok if their groomer took care of it. I said "sure, go ahead". When we picked her up yesterday, she was shaved head to toe. (We don't believe this was done by their groomer, we think some moron on staff did it.) We are beside ourselves worrying if her coat will ever come back. We live in MN with 90+ degree summer days and sub zero winter days. Is there anything we can do to ensure that her coat is restored to "normal" with a healthy protective outer coat? Any advice would be appreciated.
LOL... that's kind of amusing, actually.

don't worry about it. hair grows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read in this forum, the top coat often does not grow back correctly and the dog's coat can be permanently damaged leaving the dog unable to properly regulate temperature. So I don't think it is amusing at all.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Permanently damaged...... You would be well advised to form your opinions based upon facts. I wouldn't assume that those are the facts.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
As your dog has a soft coat, it should grow back in fine, no different than clipping a Shih Tzu x Maltese and it does not affect their coat at all. I know that from experience, not something I read somewhere. A wiry coated breed like a Scottie or Schnauzer, it does tend to make their coats come back in softer and you lose the wirey texture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Permanently damaged...... You would be well advised to form your opinions based upon facts. I wouldn't assume that those are the facts.
According to posts from groomers on this forum, shaving a dog with a double coat and permanently damage the coat because the outer insulating layer does not grow back properly. Sounds pretty factual to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As your dog has a soft coat, it should grow back in fine, no different than clipping a Shih Tzu x Maltese and it does not affect their coat at all. I know that from experience, not something I read somewhere. A wiry coated breed like a Scottie or Schnauzer, it does tend to make their coats come back in softer and you lose the wirey texture.
My dog has a double coat, which is the concerning thing. Groomers on this forum have stated that shaving a double coat can cause the outside layer to not grow back properly. Soft, wiry, long, short, all of those characteristics are irrelevant to my concern.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Agreed, it's really not recommended to shave dogs with double coats.

But it should grow just fine if it only happened once. It's just annoying in the Summer because they can overheat, get sunburned, and will get wet (the coat protects from rain too).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you ask questions when you picked her up? Some groomers will dematt and brush out the matts. It is time consuming and can be hard on the dog. Sometimes, if it is bad they have to shave. I would not assume it was not the groomer.

They should have got back to you if they decided she needed to be shaved.

I understand your concern. I hope it grows back fine, it should. My dog has a different type of coat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, I hope they didn't make you pay for a full groom. So sorry that happened! We always kept proper communication and let the owner decide whether to do an all-over shave or let them work on it at home instead. As already stated, it should grow back fine (probably already mostly has by now)just keep the skin stimulated and hair knot-free with proper brushing (love this brush:https://www.amazon.com/Paws-Pamper-Boar-Bristle-Brush/dp/B07B4R9WF1) and a good conditioner :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
@gengwall: That was a really good article you posted. Thank you for that. Knowing the difference between coats.

My English Springer Spaniel we just put down, needed to be medically shaven due to severe allergies related to over vaccination, food, dust and medicines. He had a double coat. But he seemed to really feel better when he was shaved. Either I would take his coat down with a number 10 blade or the groomer would. I would notice when he started to grow coat back that he would seem uncomfortable and itch, and pant more. We were under a vet's care and this was the best for him. Even though his was double coated, his coat grew in differently in some places like around his neck. That was when a groomer used a number 7 blade on him. But then when we used the number 10 blade, the coat grew in more evenly. That only happened once with the number 7. I wondered about it, but there was nothing I could do because it was helping the allergies. We purchased all kinds of doggie wear for him to protect him, which helped also with temperature extremes. Also, it took him about 8 weeks to grow coat back. We were grooming/him having him taken down about every six or seven weeks.

One thing I did notice that the article did discuss was brushing. This was something that we did regardless of him having coat or not. I also had a softer curry brush, like they use for horses, only different, that I used to use before brushing and bathing. I had some soft bristle face brushes which he liked also. I used a flea comb when we came back from walking. That really helped to get rid of the flakey skin he had. I also used to hose him off if it was hot out and he liked that. He at times became a little itchy in the butt area/poop area when he was shaved there. I think it was because the hair growing in was uncomfortable.

Now something the article did not discuss which I became concerned over. I understand that the groomers do clean the blades on their clippers and their brushes. However, my dog at the end was starting to itch more after he came from the groomer. And nothing had changed on my end. So it had to be the blades that she used and the brushes she used. The next time I was scheduled to take him for a groom I was going to request that she use my clipper and blade and also my brushes. Did not happen because he didn't make it to the next appt. I do believe now that even though the groomers clean their blades and brushes that because they go thru so many dogs a day, and sometimes some really bad coats, that there MAY be an effect on a dog that either has allergy issues, or using the blade on so many animals may cause a dog to be more sensitive. This is NOT A put down to groomers, with all due respect. IMHO I do think our dogs health and immune systems have been compromised by poor nutrition, care and shooting in the dark to treat, that this has caused a major problem in caring for our furry friends properly, myself included.

Something else. I had a collie. I was taught by a breeder that the way to get through the shedding process was to bath them when this happened. This causes all of the shedding to come off at once. This was helpful to me. I was taught by others too that the collie does not need that many baths, but that maybe twice a year when they blow coat. He had a great coat. BUT when I started using the frontline spray on him he started to have coat and skin issue. And as far as conditioning agents go, when I used one, that also started to give him coat and skin issues. So stopped that. There was not much else to do but line brush him the way I was taught. His skin was good without chemicals and extra conditioners, and bathing twice a year. Oh he also liked to be hosed off on his private parts in the summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts