Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All!

I just adopted a puppy 3 weeks ago. Took him to the vet immediately turns out he has giardia. We've done 2 rounds of treatment for that which he ended Saturday the 7th. Today I found worms in his poop, took it to the vet and he had tapeworms. We are immediately putting him on medicine and then starting him on flea and tick prevention come June 1st when he is around 6 months old.

My question is, if one of these tapeworms have escaped from his butt and around my apartment, do I need to worry about him getting reinfected or infecting one of us? I of course am going to clean the whole place now, but I am wondering how worried I should be at this point.

I want to make sure my poor pup is as healthy as possible and he doesn't have to deal with this ever again.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Some canine tapeworms can be transmitted to humans, most can't. Has the Vet given you advice on how to avoid contamination of giardia in the home? I'd ask your vet about the type of tape worms and environmental decontamination, and your doctor about whether or no you need a worming treatment.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Giardia sucks, one of my guys had it when we brought him home, it took two rounds to get rid of it too. Im glad he is rid of it?

As for tape worms, don't quote me on this since I'm going from memory and quick searches on line, the eggs are passed in the poop. You (humans) usually get tapeworms if you eat raw or undercooked infected meat or are not very higenic and have come in contact with the eggs (yuck). I would say make sure you dispose of his poop well (it cant hurt to make sure a wild animal doesn't eat the eggs and continue the life cycle) and make sure you always wash your hands after. But again don't quote me on this since I'm not a expert.
But if you have any concerns I would deffinitly talk with your vet as they will know more about tapeworms and their life cycles. I hope your pup gets rid of them soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts