Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article (TFF News: Canines and Cabs) when researching whether or not I could bring my dog in an Uber. It has some helpful points but I was wondering if anyone here has tried to take their pup in a taxi or Uber before and what you did to ensure the ride went smoothly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep. I don't have a car and I take my dog in an Uber about three times a week at least.

I only switched to Uber because none of the taxis would take him.

I place the request and immediately text them that I have a dog and a towel to protect their seats, and ask them to confirm that's ok. About 80% agree - it's Uber's policy that each driver can decided for him or herself. For the people who cancel, I just request another one.

The thing to be aware of is that there's a religious element - Muslims can't have dogs present in a place where they pray. Some Muslims will take dogs, but only if they never pray in their car. But chances are that most Muslim drivers do occasionally pray in their car if they work long hours.

Where I live, most of the cab drivers are Muslim, which is probably why I could never get a cab driver to take my dog. Many Uber drivers are Muslim too, but they trend younger and many are non religious or work short shifts, so they don't pray in their car.

Once the Uber picks me up, I lay down a towel on the back seat. I have my dog wearing a harness. Then I fasten the seatbelt and than attach my dog's harness to the seatbelt with a carabiner. So the dog is secure and the seat stays clean.

Many Uber drivers have told me that I'm considerate and that I made it easy for them to accept a dog. I have a five star customer rating.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have never used Uber.

How exactly does hitching a ride work? Is there any place to include to a potential driver that you have a dog that needs transportation as well? I certainly wouldn't blame a driver who happens to have a phobia or severe allergy to dogs for refusing to allow a dog in their personal car if the passenger never specified that a dog was involved.

Assuming that all Uber drivers are obligated to permit dogs would be presumptuous. They aren't employees for a company, as Uber and Lyft classify them as. They are more like independent contractors working under an umbrella and they get to decide what they will and will not have in their personal vehicle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
@Larkspur it's an app that's connected to your payment information. You install in on your phone, so it knows your location. Basically you just request a ride, and there are different options like Uber X and Uber Pool and Uber Select, etc. Once you make the request, they broadcast that request to a bunch of drivers in the area. When one accepts the request, their car and contact information is immediately displayed on your phone, so you can text them or call them right away if you need to ask if they will accept your dog.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I've used cabs in the past with my dog but none recently. Back when I did I just called the cab company up and requested a pet friendly cab, that was when I lived in New Orleans and back then Uber was not around so I know nothing about that company.

I catch cabs when I'm in Houston, a lot of the drivers are independent contractors so I imagine if I ever move there with my dog I'd do it the same way I did in New Orleans at first and call up the company, request a pet friendly cab, and then if I found a driver I liked ask for his card so I could call him directly for rides. The thing about calling a driver directly is that you need to call them in advance or you may have to wait quite a long time to be picked up if they are busy elsewhere.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@augusta - I know what Uber is, I've just never used it so I didn't know if it was literally just pressing an "I need a ride" button or if there was anything more. I think they should definitely implement a note tool, or better yet, a check box to click if you have an animal with you so they can accept with full disclosure rather than waiting for a text or call (which may never come, depending on the person) that "Oh, by the way, I have a dog with me."

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've taken my dogs in a cab many times, and haven't ever mentioned it on a call. They are in soft-carriers though, they're very quiet and no doghair would escape ('cept from on me, lol).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would take cabs all the time. Most of the drivers know me and know I have a dog. Usually I use my vehicle for driving my dog to places, but if it came down to it, I always let the taxi cab I call know I have my small dog with me and they send me a driver who either doesn't care or loves animals.

I live in a small city, big town and if you take cabs all the time, the drivers get to know you mainly by ur house number and street. I'm known as coffee shop lady and/or rumblings letter c lady.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts