Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My female dog Bella (10 years old) has recently become very aggressive towards my other dog Molly (also 10 years old). Bella is my boyfriends dog, and Molly is mine. We moved in together about 1 year ago, so the dogs have been living together for 1 year. When we first moved in, they got along just fine, and slowly as time has gone on Bella has become more aggressive. She would sometimes lash out over food, attention, etc. But as of lately, she tries to go after Molly multiple times in one day, usually for no apparent reason. They are both very docile and “chill” dogs, so we really don’t know what’s causing this. Bella is a black lab and Molly is a beagle, so with their difference in size I really am afraid Bella is going to hurt Molly. My boyfriend is able to break them up usually before a fight starts, but Bella will try and bite me if I get in the middle of it (she is very friendly with me otherwise). So far there is no serious injuries from the fighting but a few nicks here and there. But I am worrisome because I feel she is getting more and more aggressive. She has arthritis (which she’s taking a hip and joint supplement for) and we recently started giving her hemp calming and anxiety treats. She’s very sensitive lately, any noise and she peeks her ears up and gets concerned. She’s also very attention driven, always wanting to get more attention than Molly. I know we should take her to the vet but we are afraid the lab testing they will put her through will be quite expensive, and we don’t have a whole lot of extra money on hand. Of course we will take her to the vet if we can’t find a solution ourselves, but I wanted to reach out on her and see if anyone might have an idea as to what we can try? Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
It may be that she is in pain, or is worried she might be hurt. Or maybe there are elements of resource guarding. It's really not possible to be sure.

Unfortunately when females take a dislike to each other, they often bear a lasting grudge. You might need to keep them apart and definitely separate them when you are not there. I imagine when you were bitten that it was redirection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts