Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My corgi keeps sneezing (sometimes many times in a row, sometimes a couple times per hour). I took him to the vet (twice) and they said I could give him benadryl, they were very unhelpful. Benadryl hardly helps. He is short and when he sneezes his nose slams into the floor. I hold him in my lap as much as I can but I have to work, etc. His nose starts bleeding sometimes when he hits the floor. I put neosporin on it and I've tried band aids to no avail. I can't keep him from sneezing and slamming his face into the floor. I need help. Is there any other sneeze remedy?? This has been going on for a week. He does get the sneezes yearly, I don't think something is stuck in his nose, the vet looked. Usually it's not this bad or for this long.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Poor guy! But, schadenfreude here - I'm sure it hurts, but the mental image is hilarious. xD

Can you sit-stay or down-stay him on a bed, pile of blankets, pillows, etc? That way he's on something soft but doesn't have to be on your lap. It's a short-term solution, but hopefully it would help him through his yearly sneezing fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor guy! But, schadenfreude here - I'm sure it hurts, but the mental image is hilarious. xD

Can you sit-stay or down-stay him on a bed, pile of blankets, pillows, etc? That way he's on something soft but doesn't have to be on your lap. It's a short-term solution, but hopefully it would help him through his yearly sneezing fit.

I do try, he has a big cushion and I make him lay on it. Hes not your average dog though, he's got a little bit of mental problems (I'm not joking) and if he hears a sound he doesn't like or something (and sometimes there is no sound...maybe just the voices in his head) and he jumps up and runs away and trembles. This is another whole issue altogether (I have had this dog since he was born, he was from a little my mom raised, and he has only been treated like royalty, but you'd think he's had a traumatic past). Anyways, I will keep trying to make him stay on his bed cushion for now, but just hoping to find a better remedy for sneezing than the Benadryl.

ps. As terrible as it is, and it almost brings tears to my eyes to see him do it, the fact that he's so short that he can't sneeze without slamming the ground is quite funny, hahaa. A sneezing Corgi....biology hates this dog.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Oh man. This sucks. My dog had something similar happen once- it was both horrifying and hilarious. He sneezed a giant sneeze and smashed his nose into the foot rest of the recliner. Then, maybe because he hit his nose so hard he sneezed again, and whacked his nosey on the foot rest again. He did this like 10 times, and I was too paralyzed to move.

Is there something he is allergic to? Maybe vacuum really well and start him on a daily allergy medicine. I've heard claritin is okay for dogs, I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man. This sucks. My dog had something similar happen once- it was both horrifying and hilarious. He sneezed a giant sneeze and smashed his nose into the foot rest of the recliner. Then, maybe because he hit his nose so hard he sneezed again, and whacked his nosey on the foot rest again. He did this like 10 times, and I was too paralyzed to move.

Is there something he is allergic to? Maybe vacuum really well and start him on a daily allergy medicine. I've heard claritin is okay for dogs, I think.
I have tried thinking of if I have brought anything new inside that might be bothering him but I don't think it's anything specific in here. I'll do a good deep clean, and I think I will try Claritin instead of Benadryl tomorrow. Poor guy keeps licking hi nose because the sides have little raw spots :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts