Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my poor pup recently had an emergency spay due to pyometra and she wont eat! we have gotten her to eat tiny amounts 2 times in the past 3 weeks she is basically skin and bones. over a thousand dollars on vet visits and just more and more medicine but she refuses food. today i was able to get her to eat a bit of bread and peanut butter. i can see that shes starving and wants food but anytime she smells it she makes a face and walks away. shes starting to have difficulty standing and walking. any advice or ideas that can help her ?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Have you gotten a second opinion from a different vet? What is your current vet saying it could be?

It sounds like she's either associated the food with pain, or that she's nauseated.

Have you tried cooking for her. I'd buy or make some bone broth, make sure it does not have onion. Then cook beef, chicken, or fish (whichever she likes best) and either some sweet potatoes or rice. Use a 50/50 ratio so half meat, half carb, and whatever dog safe extras you want to mix in. When you feed it mix in around 1/8 to 1/4th cup of bone broth depending on how much you are feeding. Personally I'd feed small, frequent, meals since she's been not eating for such a long time.

Please know that this is not a nutritionally complete recipe, and if you were to feed it long term you'd need to add in organ meat, calcium, and a vitamin mineral supplement. It should tempt her to eat though and is fine to use as a topper for kibble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we went to two different vets and this is the one we liked the most the only thing is its currently difficult to see vets with the virus going on. i do believe she has associated food with pain as she shakes violently whenever we try and feed her.

i will try the bone broth with meat and the sweet potatoes because she wont touch chicken and rice. hopefully it will stimulate her hunger a bit more. im beginning to feel hopeless, everything i try isnt working.

thank you so much for responding so quickly i really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
if she doesn't pick up virus or no virus you will have to contact the vet again maybe they can put her on intravenous feeding or tube feeding just to get her strength back up, to start her body back into a pattern of receiving food but leaving her is not an option

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just sending an update we found out she was in the beginning stages of kidney failure which is causing her lack of appetite and nausea. currently get daily fluids and calorie gel to trying to flush the kidneys. send positive vibes prayers our way. we were told a week to see how she does.

·
Registered
89 Posts
just sending an update we found out she was in the beginning stages of kidney failure which is causing her lack of appetite and nausea. currently get daily fluids and calorie gel to trying to flush the kidneys. send positive vibes prayers our way. we were told a week to see how she does.
The worst thing is the animal has no idea on wat is happening.

Think positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts