Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, it doesn't sound like a match.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've got a dilemma and really need some advice from seasoned dog owners. I've got a 2-ish-year-old dog that I rescued from a shelter a little over a year ago. He's a lab mutt but looks like a border collie. Ever since I've gotten him he's been a rough player, definitely a mouther and a bit socially awkward so while he's not aggressive (definitely doesn't intentionally start fights), he's not every dog's cup of tea. He doesn't like toys at all and he is only truly happy when we go to the dog park on the weekends and he gets to chase and wrestle to his heart's content. I would even go as far to say that he's depressed on days when we don't go to the park as he runs straight into bed whenever we are in the house. (On dog park days he cuddles on the couch and nibbles on bones).

So long story short, through pure chance I ended up taking home a dog on Sunday from an acquaintance at the dog park. The dog was rescued from a kill shelter with the rest of her litter mates and is the last one to be adopted out. She's between 9 to 12-ish months of age and is a female slightly smaller than my dog. She's probably about 25 pounds lighter than my male dog. As far as I can tell she's a cur of some sort (I'm not sure she's got pit in her but it's impossible to tell).

The problem is that I can honestly not tell how it's going so far.

The questionable behavior:
-They wrestle in the yard, which is good, but it looks intense. 95% of the time he's the instigator. Neither snaps or barks though and it certainly doesn't look like a proper fight to me. She tucks her tail sometimes but when I pull him away she comes back and starts it again. Sometimes her hackles get raised and he starts growling a little. I can't tell if they are having fun or he's just bullying her.

- He won't let her have toys outside. If she finds something of interest outside, he steals it from her.

- They virtually completely ignore each other indoors. After we're done outside they'll sit about 10 feet from each other with their respective toy/bone/treat.

- When she has something he wants and we are all inside, he'll give me a pleading stare that breaks my heart.

The good:
- He lets her share the water bowl and eat some of his food from his bowl. (This was not intentional, as I fed them in separate spaces but she's sneaky and finished her meal quickly).

- He lets her share the bed at night, although reluctantly. Again gives me pleading eyes when she jumps in.

- He lets her go through the door first when I let them out.

- When we are indoors and she has a bone that he wants, he waits until she gets distracted and then gingerly takes it away. When it's a toy, it's all out tug of war though.

I really want what's best for both of them but obviously, my current dog is my main priority as I know the other dog will likely have a good home no matter what (though maybe not as spoiled as she would be with me).

Can someone give me insight into whether any of this is good or really bad? We really want my pup to have a companion that can match him for play but we don't want the addition to be miserable.

I have to let the owner of the rescue pup know what my plans are by the weekend as she does have other interested parties.

Suggestions???

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I agree with @PoppyKenna. Not all dogs living together are going to be best friends. And youve also only had her for a short time so there still getting used to each other.
Also like poppykenna said, i see some of those things all the time with my two. Its not uncommon for some dogs to be loud when the play and wrestle. As time goes on youll start to learn and pick out when and if you need to step in or if there just being noisy and ruff while playing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding so quickly! Part of the reason that I want this to work so badly is because well 1. I want my dog to be happy and have a playmate and 2. we are looking to move internationally (permanently) in about a year and half and I think the transition will be a lot better if he has a companion as the location we are moving to does not have local dog parks. I'd like to begin to look for work as quickly as possible when we relocate so I don't think a puppy would be ideal (and I don't think my dog would do well with a major move AND a puppy) and it took me a full year to turn my current dog from a total devil to a mostly well-behaved companion. I ADORE dogs so I'm willing to put in the work (and for me the summer is ideal because I have a reduced work week until August) so it just seemed like a wonderful opportunity at the right time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like I should also mention that in the last day she has started to try to mount him a couple of times when they are playing. I've never seen a female do that to him at the park so I was a bit shocked. I'm not entirely sure what that means if it means anything at all.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It could be vary likely just over stimulation. My female will hump my male every once and awhile while wrestling. Just make sure, especially if she starts doing this all the time, to break her concentration and if need be remove her to calm down. Some dogs find it rude and or do not tolerate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts