Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm turning 50, grew up with dogs, took 20 yr detour with cats(who knew they lived so long) and am finally ready to bring an animal friend or two into my home. I've been doing long walks - 1HR / 6 miles about 3-5 times a week and would love to find a dog (or two) who could easily join me, so am looking for suggestions on breed and/or mixed breed specifications. Also, perhaps more importantly, should I be looking for 2 dogs or one? I'd like to get puppies since I've never had that experience and figure siblings might be the way to go. One of us works at home now but that may change in next 6 months so worried that any single dog will feel lonely if we move to office requirements in a few months. So, any suggestions on breed and/or basic characteristics of a mixed breed that I should look for? Do any dogs like to walk that much or should I back off on that little plan? Any help welcome, it's been 20 years since I've had dogs. sw

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Siblings or two at once is not the best idea. You can read up on littermate syndrome. That said, I am sure some have done it successfully. A puppy is a ton of work for most people and if you haven't had one in 20 years you might be very surprised. If you got one and trained it like you like, then you could add another after he/she turned a year. That way they are young enough to enjoy the same play. Getting the same breed or group helps b/c they will have similar play styles. We had thought about getting a sibling of our current pup if nobody else wanted him but after having her for a few weeks I started having anxiety and was very relieved when he found a home that wasn't mine!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I second the recommendation of one at a time. Especially if its been a while for you. We added a puppy a few months ago when my first was almost a year old. I can't tell you how much more work it is than just one. It's not just double the work. We are sort of retraining the first dog too, since we realize now that she wasn't as well trained as we thought, since adding the distraction of another dog. Taking the time to train them separately, which is necessary, is time consuming and difficult to coordinate at times. I know a few other people who got 2 puppies at the same time, and all 3 regret it. They have a difficult time controlling their now adult dogs. None of the 3 can bring their dogs anywhere with them. Obviously that is in large part a training issue, but I don't recommend putting yourself in that position!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
As cute as the idea may be, don't get two. Just don't. One puppy is enough work! Even that gets overwhelming.
Take a look at shelters and rescues (sites like petfinder.com) - they have plenty that will fit your needs and you'll be saving a life in the process.

Also, don't expect that your new pup will be able to walk with you for a long time right away. You will need to build up to that as they grow up. Some dogs don't even like walking and will prefer to run and play instead.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insights everyone. Very useful. Now I think about, our dogs were always about 2 years apart in age. And just so I don't raise any concerns, I wouldn't try to bring a puppy on walks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I take my puppy on walks. He is at about 2 15-20 minutes a day at 4 months. Just can not do big distances yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
254 Posts
A single puppy can be a ton of fun!

You can find +R based puppy socialization classes, puppy parties, and some breeders help you keep in touch with your puppies siblings so they can have a play date from time to time. I can't wait until I can get a spanish water dog puppy and do all these fun things with her....but grad school comes first!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts