Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

I am a first time dog owner and I have had my pit (which is now one year old) since she was 8weeks old. Everything has been great since we got her and has been a great addition to my family!

Although...

Two days ago I noticed a patch on hair missing on her left shoulder slightly below her collar... I noticed she had been scratching the area really bad which has resulted in hair loss in that area. The area has becomes inflamed and the skin is broken but not bleeding, almost like just a scrape under the skin
.. I'm not sure wether this is a SERIOUS issue that needs medical attention or something that I can treat with proper care at home. Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I'd be taking the dog to the vets for this. It does not look like a serious emergency, but it could need antibiotics.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I would trim the hair away from the wound to allow it to dry out. Do not apply ointment or cream. If you want to sooth it apply powder to relieve itch and help dry it out. Keep on eye on it, if it does not get better I would go to a vet for some antibiotics like Tess recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks LynneMarie for all your help! and thank you to everyone else who responded. I have done as instructed and I can tell the difference already! I will be sure to keep track of Remys progress and keep everyone updated! Thanks again we really appreciate all the help! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.