Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Husky/Collie/Maybe Golden mix, and I have had a worsening flea problem for about two months. It started out mild, contracted from my roommate's new cat. At first she showed no signs of fleas at all, so I just stayed vigilant and kept up her normal flea treatments. However, it got much worse within three-four weeks, and now I can't seem to get rid of them!

Sonia has really long, thick fur- even with the flea brush it's hard to see skin but I've done my best numerous times. I switched to K9 Advantix two months ago, I have tried flea spray, flea shampoo, used flea carpet/bedding spray, washed my sheets (she sleeps in my bed) at least twice a week in time with the flea sprays, and even flea bombed all of the house. I was so suspicious that my roommate wasn't treating the cat so I keep checking, but the cat hasn't had a single flea in weeks (how???).

My bed is covered in flea dirt within a day of my dog sleeping there, she's constantly scratching, and so am I! They bite me constantly and now I definitely feel her pain. I can literally see them hopping around on my bed. No matter how many times I've gone over her fur for hours, and spent entire days trying to kill the dang things, they won't go away. Now I spend most of my time at home trying to eradicate them and they just will not go away. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
2,820 Posts
I not an expert on fleas but there is a stage in the life cycle (pupa) when the flea is immune to treatment. They are sealed in a protective cocoon so as well as treating the animals and the house, vacuuming really thoroughly and really frequently is absolutely vital. I'm talking a minimum of daily, and empty your vacuum cleaner in an outside bin. You can also cut up a flea collar and put pieces into your vacuum cylinder.

Use the nozzle tool, to get right into skirting boards and down the crevices of sofas etc. Wash cushions, pillows etc and all soft furnishings that you can in as hot a wash as possible. Things that can't be washed, like your sofa and mattress, vacuum and spray with a good flea treatment - get something that really does the job and don't go for something cheap, it's a false economy if it isn't effective. Again, you will need to treat mattresses etc. regularly.

Fleas can lie dormant in your soft furnishings and carpets for months so I'm afraid you also have to keep up this rigorous regime for months. And that's the whole house so your housemate will need to get on board too.

Also, fleas have developed resistance to some products, I'm not in the US so your vet should be able to advise what is effective in your particular area. But if you can get a good treatment for the animals, remember it works by killing fleas so don't restrict the pets from going round the house.

It's awful, fleas are a real nightmare and it is apparently back breaking work to thoroughly follow the eradication process but it can be done. On the positive side, your house will be spotless!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You might consider a different flea med for her. Sometimes fleas can become resistant to a specific medication and a change is all that is necessary. Also, since her coat is so thick, be sure you are getting the full dose applied to her skin, and keep anything from contacting the area of application for about twenty minutes after application.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What I found out that works is a 50 % water and 50% apple cider vinegar. Spray that on the animal as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts