Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - first time poster but getting desperate for advice.

Basically about three weeks ago we rescued an 18 month old male schnauzer Oscar from people who could no longer care for him, we already had a female schnauzer of 18 months old who needed the companionship so Oscar is the second dog in the household.

He was not neutered when we took him in and he was spraying the house at first which I can understand, but we got him neutered two weeks ago now and he is still spraying on beds and furniture and I'm over it. I am seeking advice on how to break this habit or will he stop eventually since being neutered.

We both work full time so can not watch him during the day but he has access to outside when he wishes - he has re-marked areas which I have cleaned up (I always clean up as soon as I discover it)

Also any advice on how to get rid of the scent out of bedding and furniture would be much appreciated! Oscar is a great dog otherwise he has no other issues at all, any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
They do have belly bands for male dogs so at least if they do mark, it does not get everywhere. It does not necessarily make them quit but along with house training and crating him when you go out, he should get over it. It does take a while after they have been neutered for their hormones to go down but some neutered males still mark even then unless you do some training.

·
Registered
518 Posts
He was probably never housebroken. Being neutered or not has nothing to do with it. You're going to have to go back to puppy101 to train him and it's probably going to take a while if you're not home during the day - I strongly suggest crating him so he doesn't get a chance to pee anywhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First of all make sure he is housebroken. If you are not sure - start puppy 101.
It may take from couple of weeks to up to a year for him to stop marking after neutering. You need to clean all possible marking spots with enzymes cleaner for dog urine to eliminate odor. If you miss the spot, he will be marking it over and over. He can smell what you can't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts