Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I rescued Sana from the Dominican, she was found on the street at 1 week old about to be eaten by ants.

I got her in April this year. She's extremely intelligent and responded so quickly to training. I live close to the road where there are a ton of trucks that pass by all day everyday. She will RUN to my room, or hide under the couch or push up against me as soon as she hears one coming. I've tried to distract her with treats, my voice, toys, nothing works.

I take her to work 1-3 times a week. At first she was terrified of everyone, growling barking when they would come in but was too scared to approach. Now she has been great and approaching still cautiously but doing way better.

All of a sudden, my boss' dog came into my office because he was in there as well and Sana got up barking and nipped the other dog (she was totally fine, we arent even sure if she made contact). Now with any dog approaching the office she gets extremely defensive.

I'm not sure how to correct this. I've been making her sit while I pet other dogs while still touching her but it seems to be getting worse and obsessive with me.

If there is any one who can help, please please please reach out as I don't want this to get worse.

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
I've been making her sit while I pet other dogs while still touching her
If you were afraid of something like snakes, and someone made you sit still while they were around, and every instinct you have is screaming 'get me out of here', how do you think you might feel?

Give her space. Lots of space. Don't allow other dogs near.

If you can find somewhere she can see them at a distance so she is aware but not anxious, that's where you work on this. Reward her with treats for being calm. Over time (think weeks, not days) you can try reducing the distance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What you've described is almost certainly reactivity as a result of fear. I can sympathize - my latest rescue is also reactive. The basic approach is to keep the dog away from things they find scary - far enough away that they don't react, but near enough to see/smell the thing - while rewarding them for remaining calm, and gradually decreasing the distance as she allows without reacting. It may help to brush up on your dog behaviour so that you recognize some of the more subtle signs of nervousness (muscle tension, tongue flicks, etc.).

I live close to the road where there are a ton of trucks that pass by all day everyday. She will RUN to my room, or hide under the couch or push up against me as soon as she hears one coming. I've tried to distract her with treats, my voice, toys, nothing works.
Living where you do is going to make training an uphill battle. Every time she reacts this way, she gets more of the stress hormone, cortisol, in her system. Cortisol increases fear and the likelihood of further reactions. When you say distracting her doesn't work, keep in mind this means she is far over her reactivity threshold. Unfortunately, short of moving, it isn't avoidable. The best you can probably do is sit next to her and talk to her quietly to reassure her any time they pass. I've also found that giving the scary thing a name can help (I say "Just a truck" to mine any time one passes) - it seems to reassure them that I know what the thing is / it's got a predictable behaviour. It may be possible to desensitize her to the noise by playing the radio also.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you were afraid of something like snakes, and someone made you sit still while they were around, and every instinct you have is screaming 'get me out of here', how do you think you might feel? Give her space. Lots of space. Don't allow other dogs near. If you can find somewhere she can see them at a distance so she is aware but not anxious, that's where you work on this. Reward her with treats for being calm. Over time (think weeks, not days) you can try reducing the distance.
If you were afraid of something like snakes, and someone made you sit still while they were around, and every instinct you have is screaming 'get me out of here', how do you think you might feel? Give her space. Lots of space. Don't allow other dogs near.
She’s not afraid of dogs. I don’t think you read what I wrote. She is territorial of my office. When I pet other dogs she forces herself in between and will flare her teeth at new dogs. That’s when I make her sit while I pat both of them. I can’t just keep her away from dogs when my neighbour has 3 and there’s dogs in my office haha

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
don’t think you read what I wrote.
I think I did. You said

Sana got up barking and nipped the other dog
Now with any dog approaching the office she gets extremely defensive.
This sort of behaviour is in fact normally rooted in fear. She is trying to keep the other dog(s) away and has worked out the best way of doing that is by being aggressive.

I can’t just keep her away from dogs when my neighbour has 3 and there’s dogs in my office haha
I don't see that as amusing. However if you can't keep her away from dogs in the office, maybe don't take her there. And leave your house when your neighbour's dogs are indoors or on a walk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts