Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP!!!! Putting Ear Drops in my Shih Tzu

Tags
ear drops
4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pkelley 
#1 ·
Help!!! I have a 10 month old male Shih Tzu and it is HORRIBLE trying to put ear drops in his ear! I'm loosing my mind!!!!!! He is a very loving dog!! But, when it comes to putting drops in his ears it is a NIGHTMARE!!! We tried a muzzle...but could not get it on! Please any suggestions would help!:mad:

#2 ·
This sounds like a two person job .. I think the trick is to not do it by force . I have a Shih Tzu as well and she hates things done to her . Have your dog up on a table or counter if you can so she is facing the other person , have that person hold a piece of chicken or some other soft treat between 3 fingers just let enough stick out for the dog to nibble a little at a time . As this is happening , you come from behind and slowly lift the ear flap and put the drops in . You may have to do this a couple times to get the job done . This method usually works well for me when needed ..

Oh and Welcome to the Dog Forum ...

#4 ·
When I had to remove an embedded piece of rock salt from my puppies' paw alone, I spread cream cheese all over her slow feed bowl then lifted up her paw while she was focussed on that, licking something up (peanut butter or cream cheese etc) gives you more time than a treat.

#5 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_VzNv7TC9U&feature=youtu.be

This is how you train it before you need to put drops in the ears. ^^The first step is to make the appearance of the bottle a predictor of good things. No drops. Just the bottle appearing causes best treats ever.

You also should warm the bottle before applying the drops. Even if the drops are warm, the sensation to a dog is very weird and unpleasant.

#7 ·
I dog sat and elderly dog and had to take her to the vet several times for a corneal ulcer...it took 3 vet techs to hold her while the vet examined her eye with the light...a little different but! I learned to wait until she was sound asleep and then put the drops in the one eye really fast while she was still groggy It's better to teach them to accept the meds through training while they are awake...however...it all else fails, try when she is asleep...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.