Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 week old puppy who has been happy and healthy until just the other day when she started having diarrhea. First she had a normal poo which had some white substance in it which I assumed was the piece of puppy pad she ate. After that she has had runny diarrhea with mucus. But the past few pops have been alarming as one had what looked like blood in it, and others that look like white specs. I examined it myself and they don’t seem to be worms, but are hard little bead like specs. Pictures below of both. Sorry for the gross pics!
She has had her second set of shots and dewormer today. I took in a stool sample to vet but these white specs and this red substance did not show until we got home and she pooped.
Could this be worm eggs?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
104 Posts
People here are not vets and I recommend a professional opinion (and treatment) ASAP. Hope that the puppy is drinking since de-hydration can be fatal with young puppies.
Take a stool sample and if need be, plz consult an E-vet if you can't get to see yours fast.
Good luck and hope she is ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People here are not vets and I recommend a professional opinion (and treatment) ASAP. Hope that the puppy is drinking since de-hydration can be fatal with young puppies.
Take a stool sample and if need be, plz consult an E-vet if you can't get to see yours fast.
Good luck and hope she is ok.
Thank you for the reply. Yes puppy is hydrated and drinking enough. We went to vet today and I took a sample in but this happened after. I’m wondering if the stool sample taken in from yesterday will still show whatever may be in there now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Yes puppy is hydrated and drinking enough. We went to vet today and I took a sample in but this happened after. I’m wondering if the stool sample taken in from yesterday will still show whatever may be in there now.
I would contact your vet and see what he/she says..Did the vet say to put her on a bland diet? Just my curiosity.
Happy to hear that she is hydrated, and that you took her to the vet..

IF there are parasites..they would certainly show in a sample taken the day before. Worm eggs are usually not visible to the naked eye.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmmm..By chance did you bring her in for her shots? If so, some pups react to the injections. In any case, your vet knows best.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Are you also aware of keeping your puppy away from pretty much everything until she has all her vaccinations? Even other people petting her (if they've been around another dog), or going on a walk where another dog has been should be avoided. If you go in a store, or the vet or anywhere, hold your puppy. Parvovirus can live for over a year, and it's highly contagious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would contact your vet and see what he/she says..Did the vet say to put her on a bland diet? Just my curiosity.
Happy to hear that she is hydrated, and that you took her to the vet..

IF there are parasites..they would certainly show in a sample taken the day before. Worm eggs are usually not visible to the naked eye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well at the visit I only mentioned her having dh after eating part of the puppy pad, and they advised to call Monday if she’s still having it, because it should subside by then as its normal, but if it’s still going on next week to bring her back in bc it could be another issue. However at that time I had not seen the blood like spot in there which concerned me. They were closed before I was able to contact them. However, I haven’t heard from them today after the sample, so I assume that is good news. But tonight the stool is becoming more solid with every poo, so that is a good sign! Thank you for replying. Fingers crossed she is better tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you also aware of keeping your puppy away from pretty much everything until she has all her vaccinations? Even other people petting her (if they've been around another dog), or going on a walk where another dog has been should be avoided. If you go in a store, or the vet or anywhere, hold your puppy. Parvovirus can live for over a year, and it's highly contagious.
Wow no I have never been told that! Good to know! I think the Vet should have told me that when I took her in for her first set of vaccinations. I am a first time dog owner and that is good info thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Those look like tapeworm eggs to me. I'm pretty sure your dog has some kind of worm. Take the dog and the pictures to a vet. Collect a sample in a clean container and take it along with you if you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts