Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Maltipoo and I had her since she was 2 months, now shes 7 months old...about 2 weeks ago she started her first heat...and since then her behaviors started change drastically...I understand that it is normal for behavior changing under heat but I really having a tough time handling her...

She started resource guarding, object guarding, growling when try to pick her up...bite me twice on the hand...

I am going to fix her 2 weeks later after the heat is over, what should I do now to correct her behavior? or just leave her alone for now?

Would her bad behavior continues after spaying? What's your experience like?

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I only had my dog through one heat and I'm glad it wasn't more. OMG do they get crazy lol.

I would just leave her alone right now. Short walks only, you don't want her exposed to male dogs at all. Pref just in the backyard and back in, and only do relieve herself.

You won't really know what behaviors will stay or go after the first heat, best you can do is spay and not let her go in heat again.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
A lot of the troublesome behavior will likely diminish when she is out of heat and spayed.

However, some if it will probably remain and require some training to deal with. This is because it is not all hormone caused behavior. Some of what you are seeing is just because she is maturing and transitioning from a puppy to an adult type of approach to life.

It sounds like some resource guarding going on. We have a sticky on that.

I agree with Kwenami to just give her space for a while until you get her physically sorted out. But once she is well, you can start working on the RG etc. with the positive methods in the sticky.

So for now (and forever) do not push her when she growls. That is how you get bitten, because from her perspective, you were not listening when she gave a warning. Growling is good communication in the dog world. She does not want to bite you, but she feels it is necessary when you threaten her stuff, or pick her up when she does not want to be handled (which may be a space RG issue).

There is almost always a positive way to deal with these things... one that avoids conflict and pushing a dog to the breaking/biting point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts