Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago we adopted an 11 month old siberian husky. She is Gorgeous! But boy is she keeping me busy!!!

We have a couple of things going on that we haven't experienced with previous puppies and wonder if anyone can shed some light on possible reasons and/or offer suggestions.

When we first met her, she, her owner and the owners w children (ages 9-16) had just moved in next door. They had been evicted and come to live with the owners parents. They lived there about 5 or 6 weeks before we adopted Autumn. All the time they were there, Autumn was left outdoors 24/7 either in a crate too small (not terribly so) or on her leash tied to a tree (5 foot leash or so). Clearly she did NOT get much exercise or attention. While she was living there she was fed by the homeowner once or twice a day, but I learned that prior to that she was only eating on average once a week (I don't know quantity). Before moving next door I have no idea what she was getting for exercise. I also don't know how often she had to move from home to home in her short life.

I share all of this because I suspect it has at least some impact on what we're experiencing now. Her energy is over the top!! Even after a brisk 30 minute walk she races around the house as if she's had several shots of espresso.

(A cute side note: nothing gets in the way of her racing from one end of the house to the other. Our older dog had just come home from surgery and was standing perpendicular to the wall. Autumn didn't let that get in her way. Either she bounded over Bumper (who is the same size) or ran under his belly!! Fun to watch for us, but overwhelming for Bump!)

Is this hyper-energy due to being held "captive" do you suppose?

The other challenge we face is constant urination. We bring her out several times after dinner and drink. This includes immediately after, two hours after, and then another two hours later than that. She stays out for a minimum of 15 minutes, and upwards of 45 minutes during these times. Yet, when I get her out of her crate 7 hours later she has completely soaked her bed. Is seven hours too long even after several hours after drinking? Are we asking too much of her? Something else?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That's awesome that you got her out of that situation.
Huskies need lots of exercise, and are active dogs. She's still young so she's got puppy energy on top of her breed energy. I would up the length and or frequency of her walks. If you know once she gets back she loves to zoom around the house, it might help to let her do it in the yard if she will.

As for her peeing, I would suggest taking her to the vet just to rule out a medical problem. But it could be that they never crate and or house trained her. If that is the case your going to have to take her out more frequently until she learns. You also need to keep a close eye on her to see if she shows any signs of needing to go out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Firstly, you should take her to the vet to check for unknown medical reason for the issue (such as diabetes or a hidden bladder infection.) The more excited she is, the harder it is for her to control her bladder, so don’t encourage her to get worked up. Jst ignore her for the first few moments..

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
She's almost a year old, so I doubt 30 minutes is doing enough for her :p She probably needs closer to an hour. Now that's cooling down, my Aussie and BC get two walks a day (Heidi gets two x 30 min, and Levi gets two x 60 min), and then every other day they get a hard run at a dog park with friends, or a big field (Levi runs free, Heidi is on a long line). I suspect her new found freedom could have something to do with her intensity, but also she's a dog that's bred to go and go and goooo. Try upping her exercise.

As for the peeing, do you let her outside, or take her out on a leash? She could be so excited she forgets she has to pee. As far as the peeing in her crate, I imagine she was either kept in one for way too long when she was little and has learned that you should just go, because you're not going to get out. Puppies will hold it as long as they can because they don't like to toilet where they sleep, but they can only hold it so long. I would start treating her like an 8 week old puppy. She needs constant supervision, and she will probably need to go out every two hours, and then maybe every three or four during the night.

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 4 of 4 Posts