Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 10 month old puppy that is about 10 lbs who has tons of energy all the time. Whenever I take him on a walk hell growl and or bark at other dogs and people all the time. Some days he doesn't but most days he does. If we let him run in the hallway and he sees someone walking he'll chase them down while barking at them. I do not want to use a bark collar unless it needs to be done but is there anything else to do to prevent this behavior. He also jumps on me and my family and bites our clothes playfully. We walk him 3 times a day for about 15-20 minutes each. I have tried teaching him quiet and I feel he knows it but keeps barking once he sees I don't have any treats.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 8-month-old puppy kind of does the same thing. He's actually very social, so I think what's actually going on is he's still scared of a lot of things/unknowns. For example, when I take him out to go potty, anyone he sees in the vicinity he has to stop in his tracks and stare them down. He'll bark (not viciously), and wants to run away from them. A lot of times he'll actually stop peeing until they move away, then he'll find a new place to pee once they're gone, haha. I'm hoping this will stop as he ages. Besides this, he's very good at dog socials with dogs and people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea its weird if someone comes over to our apt hell bark at them initially but then hell warm up to them and smother them with love. If I take him to someone elses place he won't be as friendly and he'll be more shy and wont let people pet him or pick him up. Actually he only behaves this way in my apartment complex. He doesn't do this out in the parks. He may be very territorial.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts