Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Amber, I'm new here hoping to get some good advice. My almost 2 year old chihuahua was pregnant, and had 2 puppies about 13 days earlier than the normal gestational time. This was her second litter, the first ones weren't premature. She just gave birth to them on Monday the 27th. This morning they both passed away, I couldn't really find the information I was searching for online so I thought this was the place to get help. Now, my dog is still licking them, I'm not sure if she's trying to get a response from them, or just cleaning them (but she'll continuously lick their little snouts). She wont leave their side even to go outside or eat, I'm not sure how to go about getting the poor pups from her without her searching the house up and down. I did hear not to leave the deceased pups with their mother longer than a day, as decaying could get mom sick. So my questions are do I just take her away from the pups and then put her back after i take them away? I also heard the mother will mourn after this happens (does that really happen?), Has anyone else ever gone through this? What could cause this to happen? This has been so heartbreaking, I don't want to leave her side. Please help!! Please no rude responses, as this already has me in tears.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Have you consulted with your vet on what you should do? I would definitely speak with your vet on what they think is best.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Mom really needs to be taken to the vet. You need to make sure that all the pups have been whelped and if not then it needs to be determined if any remaining pups are alive, or dead. If they are dead then they will need to be removed ASAP or mom will get very sick. Dog Early Contractions in Labor - Early Contractions in Dog Labor | petMD

While she is at the vet you can have someone remove the dead pups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts