Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 month old Lab/Aussie mix Eevee drools excessively when Im not home. I have to put her in the cage when I leave because she likes to chew on things. At first I thought she was peeing in the cage because her blankets would be drenched so I stopped leaving blankets in the cage and made sure she peed before I left and also stopped putting water in the cage with her. The next time I left home I came home to her chest and front legs soaked in what I believe is drool!! Plus puddles of drool all in the bottom of her cage! I dont understand why she is doing this and I just feel terrible about it because she sits in her drool until I get home :( I dont know what to do please help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would guess that she's drooling due to stress/anxiety. I work for both a groomer and at a vet hospital, and sometimes see dogs that are anxious or stressed in the kennel environment, and drool profusely because of it- it's usually concentrated on their front legs and neck/chest. Does she have separation anxiety or ever show reluctance/stress over being crated?

You might try either making the crate less stressful by using "crate games" (it's a training/reconditioning system aimed toward making the crate more enjoyable), or giving enrichment/food dispensing toys (filled kong toy, etc) while she's in there, though my guess would be that if she's stressed enough to be drenched in drool, she's probably too stressed to eat as well, though some dogs can surprise you :) ; OR if you think she might be ready, try graduating her to a gated off area or room (with gate or door closed) and see how she does with less confinement. Personally, my preference if she were mine would be to phase out the crate if possible, and you can always reintroduce it/recondition her to it for things like traveling, vet trips, etc. Good luck :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.