Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 labs who are 4 years old. They bark and lunge at other dogs while we are on a walk. I can barely hold them back sometimes. I use a "gentle leader" collar on both of them so this helps.
I have been learning about training dogs not to react to other dogs while on a walk by reading and viewing videos. However, there is always only one dog to train. This is probably a naive question but here it goes.
Do I train each dog separately ? Or should I train them both at once since I always walk them together?
Any suggestions on stopping this reactivity behavior are welcome. I have been trying the positive reward of a treat when we first see a dog and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes to both. Walk each dog individually and train each dog individually because it's very difficult to give each dog the undivided attention it needs when it comes to this kind of training--and less frustrating for you too if you're only managing one dog at a time. If you are seeing results from the positive training you have done so far, I would continue it. You might have already come across Kikopup's videos on youtube, but she does have nice series on how train your dog not to bark that would be worth viewing. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I will try training with each dog separately . And I will watch the videos you suggested. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.