Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, made an account just to ask this question and get some feedback from people on what they have tried.

I currently have three dogs...

6 Year old female Chocolate Lab
11-14 Year old male Black Lab
9 Month old male Anatolian Shepherd

Right now I am currently feeding NutriSource Grain Free Seafood Select, I was feeding Kirkland Signature Adult Chicken prior but the Shepherd didn't really like it (he LOVES the Seafood Select). The only place to get the Kirkland is at Costco which is over an hour drive, so that's why I went to Chewy and am trying the NutriSource.

My question is, is there a good food out there on Chewy or Amazon that is priced in between the two? With two large dogs and one that will get extra large, feeding the Seafood Select will get rather expensive yet I can easily afford something more then what the Kirkland is priced at.

It's not that I'm struggling financially to feed my dogs or anything. I'm just trying to be conscious of my spending (on everything mind you) so if I can find a good quality food that's cheaper, I want to give it a try. There are just so many options on Chewy I thought making a post here would be best.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I currently have three dogs...

6 Year old female Chocolate Lab
11-14 Year old male Black Lab
9 Month old male Anatolian Shepherd
My best answer is to ask a veterinarian for guidance—for a few specific reasons:

1) Different size and aged dogs often do better on different foods (hence why many companies separate out foods based on small/large breeds, as well as puppy/senior versions of food).

2) If any of your dogs have a medical condition (i.e. obesity/being underweight, joint pain, etc.) some prescription diets can be enormously useful.

That said, we've had good luck with Hill's Science Diet Large Breed (we have a siberian husky and a german shepherd). Here's a link for Amazon...I think it's pretty reasonably priced, but can't say what's in your budget as I'm not familiar with the specific costs of what you've been buying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mainly cooking for my dogs here, but since it appears they have some issues stemming from imbalanced diet, I recently tried IAMS Premium Protection in the white bag at the recommendation of a long time breeder friend. It's been very difficult to locate in my area, but I can get a 24.5lb bag on Amazon for under $29, which I think is very reasonable. Even the picky ones love the taste (I was worried they wouldn't take to it after so long on a homemade diet), their coats are lovely, very boldly pigmented and soft. My old conformation CH. looks in show shape again for the first time in years. I am so impressed with their condition - and the break its giving my wallet - I could do the happy dance :happydance:

It's one of the best kibbles I've ever used - the dog food ingredient Nazis can pick it apart all they like, but the Mature Adult formula has done wonders for an older bitch whose IVDD has been giving her trouble lately, and I'm about to try out the puppy formula on our new addition.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
By the way, I urge you to read all these posts with an open mind and maybe do a bit of research on your own. There are some people who profess to be experts, but are disturbingly opinionated. Make up your own mind, it is your dog.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Chewy is a great place! Take a look at the Victor brand...they are rated highly at dogfoodadvisor (4-4.5 stars) and are very reasonably priced AND comes in 40# bags!
Example;
Victor Professional Formula for all life stages 40#....$45.38 (rated 4 stars)
Victor Senior/Healthy Weight Formula 40#.....$55.55 (4.5 stars)
Victor Ocean Fish Formula 40#.....61.99 (4 star rated)

My son feeds this food with good results with his Lab and Golden.

The Tractor Supply 4Health is good too

Actually the best food you can feed is the food YOUR DOG does well on!! Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mainly cooking for my dogs here, but since it appears they have some issues stemming from imbalanced diet, I recently tried IAMS Premium Protection in the white bag at the recommendation of a long time breeder friend.

I'd second the recommendation for Iams, although I use the regular green bag. It's an excellent feed that I pay less than $30 for a 30lb bag, and I trust both the quality of ingredients and appreciate that the Iams Company has feeding trials behind their formulas. The 25/14 ratio is also ideal for all life stages, so I can feed it to older pups and senior dogs without a problem, which saves me even more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone I'm with a new ds company for are pets pawTree all Holistic Natural Nutrtion food and Treats and supplements and pawpairings superfood seasonings .. MY DOGS LOVED IT ,,, I have 2 great pyrenees ,, ,

·
Registered
262 Posts
I feed my dogs Nature's Recipe brand dog food, with an intermittent mix of Fromm. I try out all the different proteins. The dogs are around 5 & 6 yrs old and haven't had any health or skin related problems while on Nature's Recipe, which is why I stand by them and am reluctant to ever switch. It's tempting to try 4Health though because it's about the same price as Nature's Recipe but for an extra 5lbs of food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts