Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a 1 year old Cavalier King Charles that used to love walking with our older dog. About 2 months ago she was pounced on by an over excited lab and now she will not go on walks.

If we go to leave the house, she'll come out front. Then simply lay down and refuse to move. To try and get her to walk, I've been carrying her to the furthest point of our walk and she walks (pulls) all the way home.

This is really starting to make my wife depressed because she walks the dogs to help with her own anxiety and the pup is her little treasure.

What can we do?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here is something to try:

Maybe try taking a chair just out of sight (off your yard) and wait for her to come to you. Even if she can't see you, she should be able to smell you and she might slowly get up the nerve to head to you.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I'd stop carrying her to the furthest point. She's obviously not enjoying the walks and I'd stop them for now rather than continue to put her in a state of fear and anxiety. I'd suggest doing some counter conditioning and desensitization to help her overcome her fears.

Take a complete break from walks for a few days to let her calm down. Be patient. Your wife should understand, if she suffers from anxiety, that forcing a dog or person who is feeling anxious or fearful to face their fears is usually counterproductive. Dogs don't have our power of reasoning. When they experience a scary event, such as being attacked on a walk, their fear response is normal and a survival instinct. It's up to us to use our larger brains to use the science of classical conditioning to help them overcome that fear.

Take a look at the fearfuldogs.com site and CAREforreactivedogs.com for how to help change how your dog feels using the science of classical conditioning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but this also happened when my dog was just a few months old.

What worked for my family, was to take the dog to new places. We noticed that when he would go on walks, he loved to examine everything around him. So new places seemed to kind of bring back that excitement for exploring. We did avoid walking down the road where he was attacked for quite a long time. But eventually he either forgot, or gained back his confidence.

I was also told to always project a calm energy on walks. I admit, I was fearful when passing that house as well, but by calming myself, my dog seemed to react to that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.