Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I am new to this forum so I'll do a bit of background first before I get to my questions...My name is Ian, I live in the UK and have got a five year old labrador called Max, he is an amazing dog, so laid back, good on walks but very greedy (as most dogs are!). We decided a while back to add an new puppy to the family, we started the search and we found a nearby breeder of cockapoo puppies, we got one, he's called Oscar and he's a crafty little guy. I am mostly here to ease the concerns of my mum who, despite it being early days, worries about if she's done the right thing. So without waffling further here's the issues:

1. Oscar (the pup) is jumping and biting and wanting to play with Max on a semi regular basis, at first Max would run away and avoid him but now he has started to get frustrated and growls and barks but NEVER attacks or snaps. We do our best to keep Oscar away when he's too much but sometimes he's a quick little guy to keep away.
2. Oscar biting us. I know this is a problem with puppies, they bite everything, but we are having difficulty with techniques to keep Oscar from biting us a bit too hard, we got advice from other sites etc...that you either say no or ouch when he bites too hard, but he still gets those moments where it's too much and he did draw blood on my hand last night, I gave him a time out in his pen.

Anyways guys, I know my mum and I are overthinking things but if you could give some advice or anything for me to pass onto her then that would be amazing, also hello to all, it's good to be on a dog site so I can talk about my favourites! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. if he is biting your hands try pushing down on his tongue. this worked for a lab puppy that came to the daycare i work at. Make sure any disciplinary actions are followed by the word "no"
2. Spray bottles work wonders. If he won't stop jumping up at your older pup, buy a spray bottle and fill it with water. Most dogs react to the water and will stop immediately. Others will embrace the water and think you're playing, could go either way. Worth a shot!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Congrats on your new family member.

If your puppy is starting to get on your labs nerves, give your puppy some down time. Which will also give your lab a break. Even if you need to leash your puppy to keep him with you or put him in a crate or other room. Another option is to rederect him with either a toy. When he starts getting over exhuberent and wanting to play with your lab, get his attention with a toy and have him play with it. This way your getting his focus of your lab and onto something constructive.

As for biting, while saying ouch works, in some cases it can get your dog rilled up instead. When he mouths you, stop all play and ignore him, don't give him any attention until he calms down. Leave the room if you need to. Once he calms down, give him tons of praise. If he tries to mouth again, ignore again as many times as need until he gets the message. Another option similar to what I mentioned above is rederecting him with a toy. When he starts mouthing on your hand give him a toy to play with instead.

Reactions: Sha

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Congrats on your new dog!

It sounds like Max is just letting the puppy know that he is not interested. He is communicating in canine language, and while dogs are generally very patient towards puppies, all dogs have a limit. How does Oscar respond to the growls? It's important he learns how to respect another dog's space.

As far as the biting, you are spot on: puppies are landsharks! You can try saying "ouch" or yelping high-pitched and loud, but be warned, for some puppies this just fires them up even more. @Sabina88 has the right idea. I always try to redirect to a toy first to continue the play, and if the biting on my hands continues, I drop the toy, stand-up, turn around, cross my arms, and don't look. Puppies quickly realize that mouthing = no fun.

I would highly suggest NOT pushing on his tongue or spraying him with a bottle. You don't want your puppy to become afraid of you.

Reactions: Sha and Sabina88
1 - 4 of 4 Posts