Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly young puppy (cant remember how old right now) and he is driving everyone nuts with his energy. He takes most of it out on my older rescue dog by trying to play with him and nearly drives him nuts too. I've had puppies before but never with this much energy. He has 2 levels of movement"
1. Full on playing with everything he can
2. Dead asleep with loud snoring...

He is not aggressive at all and loves any sort of attention he can get. He sits and fetches but thats all we can keep his attention for. He would be a great bird dog but we don't bird hunt.

Does anyone have any ideas on training a dog like this? He takes no interest in treats and he has to be alone with you to even get his attention for a simple sit.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
how long is he in your family?
is he already over 6 months or is he still veery small (like 2 months)?
it is important to know at least an estimated age, so that you don't overdo it with exercise and harm his still growing joints, bones and ligaments in the process.
make sure to not let the dog jump or make sharp turns until he's fully adult (around 2 years). fetch is also not the best for such a young dog, because ot can be harmful for the body and can make your dog mentally addicted to the thrill of the flying toy, which is stressful for the dog.
try playing stuff like tug of war or other games that get the dog involved with you as the human.
letting your dog search treats in the house (start simple and make sure the dog has succes and so has fun) can also be good to keep the brain involved.
make also sure that your older dog doesn't get pestered too much and separate them when necessary.

A puppy needs a lot ot sleep, so make sure it sleeps enough. a houseleash to keep the dog at your side and help him to calm down, can be great.
also I'd start very early with teaching your dog settle down on its own place (blanket, dog bed or cage).
keep training and walks short but numerous and try to make it as fun for the dog as possible.

1. Full on playing with everything he can
2. Dead asleep with loud snoring...
sounds like a normal puppy. XD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.