Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Labrador Bailey is dying from Kidney failure and I fear we dont have much time left. When he was first diagnosed we could have his kidneys flushed at the vet with fluids for the day and he would feel good,eat,drink, and play normally for a month of two, now it has gone down from two weeks to now its been barely a week since his last flushing and now he wont eat hardly and wont drink a drop of water and is coughing and dry heaving, Should we just keep getting him flushed until it no longer works at all or what? He feels great afterwards but its not lasting as long, should we let him go while he feels good or wait until it no longer is working? I don't what him to suffer yet don't want to put him down while he is feeling good either, i hate this...every day is so stressful thinking about him and what to do :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
From personal experience with chronic kidney failure, this is an extremely painful thing to go through. If the treatment he has been under is no longer as effective as you would want for him to have an otherwise healthy life, then it isn't worth it to keep him alive and still suffering despite being flushed. Just my humble two cents...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response, but what is hard is that he feels good after his flush and plays,eats,etc...just so hard to decide

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think you need to look at a few things that might help you make the right decision for your dog.

I will always believe that quality of life is better than quantity...and even though it's so terribly hard to let them go, that is also our responsibility as owners and the final ultimate act of love we can give to our pets who are suffering.

If you are comfortable with the vet bills that are probably adding up due to the procedure, fine, but if it's starting to stress you out or cause you to miss paying other bills then this isn't a good thing. I love my pets and will go into a certain amount of debt for them, but not so much as to financially ruin my credit scores because I'm not able to pay other bills. Later on in life, (if one is younger) and you wish to buy a needed car, or even get a home, you might regret the red flags on your credit score. And I do know a few people who have got into this kind of trouble due to a pet that couldn't be saved but they continued with treatments, regardless of the money or the fact that their pet was living a miserable existence for it's final month or so of life. They just couldn't face the pain of letting their animal go.

Another thing to consider, which to me is very important...is how stressful is it for your dog to under go those flushings....do you have to take it to the clinic to have it done...is your dog scared of the vets, like many dogs are? Is the procedure painful in anyway....and in-between...the build up of toxins in the kidneys...how sick is that making your dog.

Yeah, he might be fine right after a flushing of the kidneys...but are his good days out numbering his bad days?

I've had to put a lot of elderly pets to sleep in my life, last week it was my 18 year old cat...she got bone cancer...otherwise she was still alert, playing, could see very well and her hearing was excellent. But her leg swelled up and she was uncomfortable. She could walk, but at rest, kept the weight off that foot/leg. I could have had her leg amputated, or just gave her another month...and let the cancer spread...but I felt that letting her go now before 'uncomfortable' became pain...was a favor to her. Most day's I'm still finding myself crying at some point...but I don't regret my decision. I just plain miss her though.

I am so sorry you are having to think about what to do...there usually seems to be a time with elderly pets when one isn't sure. With my cat, for me, at least, it was an easier decision than I have made with some of my other elderly animals.
So all I could do was think about my budget, their reactions to vet visits, or drugs they might have had to take, and really watch them to see what signs of pain or discomfort they might be in and then hope I stepped in before it became to much.

It good that are at least facing the issue.... like I mentioned, I've seen people ignore all the signs that it's 'time' and let their animals go, even to the end, without intervention due to just looking at it with 'rose colored glasses' not wanting to believe their animal was hurting as much as it was, or in thinking that it was best just for nature to take it's course....and they would wake up one day and then tell everyone their animals passed away during the night...like it was all some peaceful thing that happened...but they never think about the weeks of decline the animal went through before it's body gave out.

Again, very very sorry you are having to decide upon 'when'.

Stormy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you the the detailed response, it does help me visualize this better. I really appreciate this forum! thank you

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know "when" definitely is a hard decision.

Everybody has different viewpoints. Some will wait until the latest possible, at which point their pet might be suffering horribly (IMP, not particularly fair to the animal). Personally, not to say this is what you should do, if I had an older animal who was very sick and still had days where it felt legitimately good I would want to make his last day one of the good ones. I wouldn't want him to be sick and in agony for his last hours.

I've known a few people who spent the last day doing everything their dog loved and was able to do, including a last meal of epic proportions. One had a huge meal from McDonalds. Another gave their dog a huge block of chocolate (not something I would personally do; I mean, yeah the dog would be gone shortly, but I wouldn't want to intentionally heavily poison my dog regardless of circumstances).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes this definitely makes sense. This is my wives dog that she has raised from a pup, I have been his "dad" for about 4 years now and have became very attached to him but don't want to bring this up to her as she cries and worries about him all the time. I hope she will seek this option out soon. She does not want him suffering at all so I hope that she will as hard as it is. I appreciate all of your help

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definitely hard to be in that position. As horrid as it is, I was lucky to be forced to make a quick decision. Risk surgery for only a 2% survival rate or euth my baby on the spot... even that was emotionally difficult. Anybody who had had to make this sort of decision knows exactly what you both are feeling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the hardest thing is that he feels "ok" right now but we both know its temporary and it does make more sense to let him go while he feels good rather than make him suffer, i guess its just the letting go part...

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
One thing I've learned to ask myself is are the bad days starting to outnumber the good days, and is there any hope that the dog will overcome whatever is causing the health problem.

When there's no hope that the dog will be truly healthy again, and he has to go through numerous bad days for just a few good ones, then it's probably time to let him go.

I'm sorry that y'all are facing such a decision, it's always so difficult to make.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we had to let Bailey go Friday and we are at peace with it, thank you for all the advice and support, we are glad he is not suffering with his disease anymore. It is very tough

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Well we had to let Bailey go Friday and we are at peace with it, thank you for all the advice and support, we are glad he is not suffering with his disease anymore. It is very tough

I'm so sorry for y'alls loss :huddle: It's never easy to let them go even when you know it's the best thing you can do for them:(

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@wideopen98 im so sorry but he is in a better place now, trust me i have been through kidney failure with a fox terrier in 2009 it was so hard and tough especially as rocky held on until i moved out at which point he had no life in him he was end stage kidney failure one flushing worked the second the day we put him to sleep didnt work. he couldnt walk or move we had to let him go. It is so tough going through kidney failure and letting them go is the toughest ever. big hugs.
@StormyPeak im so sorry to hear that im very allergic to cats and may not be a fan of them but any animal suffering and havign to get put to sleep is really upsetting. big hugs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts