57 Posts
It's simple. Closely watch your dog,each time you see him/her sniffing
around, cart them outside and stay awhile outside with them, giving
them a while to do their business. If you catch your dog or puppy in
the act of already using the bathroom in the house, try clapping
your hands loudly saying "NO!" firmly and even after using it take
them outside.

Even if your dog is not sniffing around, it would still be good to allow
them access to being outside to encourage them to use the bathroom.
Or you can take them for a walk, it's beneficial to you and them, mine
go potty each time they go for a good walk.

Each time your dog uses the bathroom outside, offer lots of praise
and affection, it really helps.

Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
when the dog is a pup, try using a key word whenever it is in the act out side... such as empty.... after a while, the dog will go on command... use the same tone each time, and use just one word, do not use the dogs name or praise it while it is in the act... just your chosen word... make sure it is not a word you use in the house or you may cause it to accidently discharge.... I find empty a good word to use... you can elongate the letters to make it a relaxing sound... use the word as the motion is about to be passed... and only praise well after the event... good luck .. Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
The rule of thumb usually is one your puppy wakes up, eats, drinks, or gets done playing take them outside side and try to get them to potty. And as already mentioned, if you catch them sniffing around then take them outside again.

If you actually catch the puppy in the act of having an accident in the house then give a correction, but if you catch it afterwards don't get on to them for it. The puppy won't remember what they did wrong at that time and make the connection to the correction you're giving.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My preferred form of house training is crate training.
Just google it and you will find lots of excellent information.
Some of the biggest things to remember have pretty much been mentioned, never punish..period, you can't reprimand after the fact and if you catch them in the act, scuttle them outside, once they finish going outside..lots of love and praise. As mentioned earlier a keyword is a good idea.
Patience is the biggest key here, remember it can take time to properly housetrain a dog, some learn faster than others so take your time, do it right and you will have a pup that knows where to go.

Good luck
Adrian

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you guys do, when it's super cold out!!! It is 6F today and will be the same for the next few days! Should I still take out a 10 week old baby that frequent??

·
Registered
98 Posts
good question! I was wondering the same thing. My pup shivers almost immediately when we go outside. It is not that cold here, but it is 20F here, still cold enough.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welll, I have to admit mine have dog coats to go out in the cold. They sometimes like them and sometimes don't! But at the risk of our resident trainers yelling at me....*mumbles* I use pee pads....*clears throat*. I only have one dog that uses them and then only after he has waited days to go number two.....this only when it rains or is super cold....*sigh*
But, as far as the rain, they just have to suck it up and go!! I have to go out and get soaked with them so I totaly empathize! But, they love the toweling off part.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I first start training a pupppy I use a kitchen timer during the day. I block the puppy in a room where there isn't rugs or carpeting, usually my kitchen. It's usually a room where I will be in a lot with them and is easier to keep clean. I can watch the pup better. I set the timer to ring every hour. When it rings I take the pup outside and wait with it. If it potties outside I give it praise and love. As they get older the period of time you set the alarm gets longer. I use a crate at night. I set my clock and get up 3 or 4 times a night to take the pup outside. I have never used wee wee pads. If you catch the pup going in between the timer rings say NO and clap your hands. Then put the pup outside. Never, ever punish the puppy for soiling the floor. That is cruel to the puppy. I had a little dog one time. And where we lived it got cold and snowed. It took me a lot longer to house train him because he didn't like to go out in the cold. In the summer he would potty outside without any problems. But winter he would give us problems. Finally we started scooping a pathway and a bigger area in our back yard, in the snow. He quit fighting me to go outside and didn't potty in the house any more. It took me almost a year and a half to get him completely trained. It takes a lot of time, planning and patience to housetrain. Oh, I use baby gates to block the puppy off in a room.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We got these pee pad things for housebreaking Lucy (my dachshund) and they didn't work. So then, we taught her how to ring a bell so we know when she needs to go outside. But, now, she uses the bell for all types of things: ringings the bell then when she gets your attention she walks over to the bacon. lol

I wish you luck with housebreaking!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
We got these pee pad things for housebreaking Lucy (my dachshund) and they didn't work. So then, we taught her how to ring a bell so we know when she needs to go outside. But, now, she uses the bell for all types of things: ringings the bell then when she gets your attention she walks over to the bacon. lol

I wish you luck with housebreaking!
LOL at least she was smart enough to realize a bell = treats!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts