Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four week old shih pom puppy and he has been eating simulated mothers milk that you can buy at Walmart but he has yet to poop in 24 hours i have been rubbing his bottom with a warm damp cloth but all he does is number 1 what should i do?????????

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I have a four week old shih pom puppy and he has been eating simulated mothers milk that you can buy at Walmart but he has yet to poop in 24 hours i have been rubbing his bottom with a warm damp cloth but all he does is number 1 what should i do?????????
Continue stimulated his rectum but try a damp warm cotton ball. It is softer more like moms tongue. :)

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
One table spoon 3x/day? Assuming you feed your puppy 3x/day. Pumpkin is a great natural source of fiber.
When I had my pups at 4 weeks old they weren't eating any type of solid food, they were still nursing from mom. I didn't offer softened puppy food for another week.

A shih/pom pup is going to be very tiny, a table spoon of anything will probably be nearly enough to fill it up.

Lacy, if she doesn't poo by morning I'd consider bringing her into the vet.

·
Registered
829 Posts
At least call the vet. They can advise you over the phone or ask you to come in. Hes so tiny and young id be worried anynhome remedies could hurt more than they help.

As a side note, I have heard (not confirmed by a reliable source but not debunked either) that mammals' stomachs are about the size of their fist/paw. Of course, stomachs stretch but a stuffed-to-the-max tummy isn't very much fun and complications can run the gamut from mild to severe. Like I said, I don't know that that size ratio is scientific fact, but I think its a good rule of thumb. Maybe Holly knows....?:)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
LOL. I didnt even look at the original date. Still learning the forum thing...this was a good training session. :D

(still curious about the tummy /paw ratio...:))
I used to do this a lot as well... that's why I always look at the dates now :D

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yes, old post. But just in case there are other readers, let us please clarify that a puppy not yet weaned is not ready for pumpkin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts